• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what's your everyday knife (knives) you carry

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I am just wondering because there's always a debate between guys on what's the best knife to carry on a daily basis. So I just want to see who carries what kind of knives with them and rely on these knives daily. I actually carry 2 knives at all times. First is my trusty leatherman skeletool and my back up knife is a bushmaster 218 pocket knife. Both very handy and I use my skeletool all the time. Its nice knowing you have a knife, pliers, Philips and a flathead at all times while being no bigger than an ordinary pocket knife.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Cheapo Gerber Paraframe... think I paid like $8 for it at Walmart, it is not the best but it holds an edge for a reasonable amount of time and I won't cry if I lose it.

I inherited hunting knives from both of my grandpas, one is a cheapo but the other is a really nice Marbles Woodcraft... super nice knife

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Leatherman Kick and Buck 373

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Leatherman Kick and Buck 373
everyone says leathermans are over rated but I strongly disagree. I have never broke this knife in the 5-6 years I've owned it. they are built strong as hell and don't corrode or rust or show much wear over time. Plus they honor their warranty. I had to have one replaced, I broke the pliers by twisting them instead of turning them, my fault not the knifes fault. anyway, I shipped them the knife and they sent a brand new one. Nothing cuts like a brand new leatherman. I feel naked if I don't have my skeletool knife. I use at least the knife, pliers and screwdriver everyday.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a Kershaw 1920 screwdriver knife and a Columbia River Guppie that I tend to switch between. The Kershaw is kinda over-sized, but the Guppie doesn't have a locking blade and the bit holder/flash light is easy to loose.

Last edited:

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont carry anymore, but each vehicle has one in the glove box. leathermans, gerbers mainly. really like the smaller leatherman, forget the name but they run about $30 at home depot on holiday specials.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
the one that I carry daily is the Gerber Bear Grylls on the end. before I got that one, it was the cheapo walmart knife on the opposite end. actually not too bad of a knife for 4 bucks. the Gerber holds a decent enough edge, and is fairly useful.

The Milspec knife is one of my favorites for looks and action. It has the skulls and you can whip it open very easily and the blade lock is very easy to use. I usually keep it put away so Idon't rub the skull print off in my pocket.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11917952@N04/25195476168/in/dateposted-public/

My entire collection:

the bottom left is a WW2 German officer bayonet that my Grandpa "liberated" from Germany when he was a POW. (also have a nice set of German Army binoculars w/ case too) the one above it was my dads (late 50s, early 60s. then above that is a cheap survivor knife from the 80s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11917952@N04/24201338117/in/dateposted-public/

AJ

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just a Swiss army knife
I like the utility of it

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
Usally just a kobalt razor knife.

Going out I'll carry a kersaw tanto tactical

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
everyone says leathermans are over rated but I strongly disagree. I have never broke this knife in the 5-6 years I've owned it. they are built strong as hell and don't corrode or rust or show much wear over time. Plus they honor their warranty. I had to have one replaced, I broke the pliers by twisting them instead of turning them, my fault not the knifes fault. anyway, I shipped them the knife and they sent a brand new one. Nothing cuts like a brand new leatherman. I feel naked if I don't have my skeletool knife. I use at least the knife, pliers and screwdriver everyday.
Mines been good, I just twisted off one of the flat screwdrivers prying with it (not what it is made for) and I about have the wire cutter wore out.

I do cut a lot of wire, when I get my next one I want one with replaceable bits for the wire cutter.

I have had mine since 2009 and use it A LOT. It was on clearance for $15 and has served me very well

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Almost always have 3, some Kershaw (I work down the street from them, they have a factory sale every year, so they're cheap and I have a bunch...), a Leatherman Squirt ES4 the one with wire strippers that I've had for about 10 years which is currently at my brothers, and a simple Wenger with nail file, knife and scisors. All have their uses and get used.

I don't like the big bulky knives, but there's a few reasonably sized options from Kershaw and for $10-15 I can't complain all that much... last year I even broke the tip off of one prying with it so I just sharpened a chisel tip into it which is handier than I thought it would be :). Kershaw does have a good warranty but I don't think they cover breaking the tip off prying... I've broke a pocket clip off before which they replaced no question and I just went in at lunch...

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
So for the longest time I could not find an EDC knife that I liked, always too big, too small and they would always fall apart. Well about 2 or 3 years ago I picked up a Kershaw Shuffle knife from Walmart for 17 bucks, and it's one of the best knives I have ever had. I carry it almost everyday and it still holds strong. It the perfect size and really handy. And now that I have a plane that uses a lot of flathead screws the flat head tip on the back works amazing.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
I am kind of a minimalist but for the last ten years or so I have become fond of the Boker Automat Kalashnikov 74. A little more expensive than the entry level stuff (40-50 USD) and kind of a fanboy tribute to the designer's ?Great ?Grandfather (not sure the relationship).

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am kind of a minimalist but for the last ten years or so I have become fond of the Boker Automat Kalashnikov 74. A little more expensive than the entry level stuff (40-50 USD) and kind of a fanboy tribute to the designer's ?Great ?Grandfather (not sure the relationship).
Never heard of that until now. Still not sure if I said it right. Looks like a well made and comfortable knife. I still like my skeletool the best because it has the pliers and four different screwdriver bits. Strong as hell and very multi purposeful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals