• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Disable Daytime Running Lights Or (drl)

DRSKEETER88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Manual
Does Anyone Know How To Disable Daytime Running Lights On A 08 Ranger?

bsquared

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I would like to know as well. Is it somethign as simple as pulling a module or something.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There seperate DRL module and vehicles without DRL have a shorting plug
that inserts in the connector in place of the module.

AD

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Short the parking brake switch, or add a switch across the parking brake switch, then you can re-activate them for road use.

bsquared

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
from the information I have come across it appears that the newer Ranger model years have the DRL controlled by the programming in the truck as opposed to a DRL Module in previous years. With this means there is no module that we can just pull out. The truck has to be taken to the dealer to have the programming changed to turn of the DRL's.

If the parking brake is engaged the DRL’s are turned off. However if you drive around with the parking brake on you will get the flashing light in the dash and the chime every so often.

Martin, how would you going about shorting the parking brake? And by doing this will it cause the light to come on in the dash and the chime to activate?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
There's a switch on the parking brake that usually just goes to ground when you activate the brake. Just put a manual switch accross the contacts. I don't think the chime will ring but the light will come on, piece of tape will fix the light.

bsquared

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
good enough. I know that if you engage the parking brake even just a little to disable the drl's and then go for a drive the chime will go off to let you know you have the parking brake on. Kind of thinking that this will occur even if you jump the lines as you are fooling the computer into thinking that the brake is engaged. Anyone else try this method of disabling the drl’s before?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the DRLs?:dunno:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure other people have different reasons but they are annoying to others when running trails. When it's minus forty or better, anything that takes power from a battery before you hit the starter reduces your chance of getting the motor to start.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
martin;587321When it's minus forty or better said:
That's why I always start my truck with the heater and lights off and the parking bake on.

bsquared

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
the reason for myself to turn off the drl's is that I want to install HID's. The drl's are done in a pulsing signal and would kill the hid system. I know that you can just start the truck with the park brake on and drive with the actual lights turned on, but what happens when you take it to a dealer or somethign like that and they are using the truck with just the drl's going. That type of pulsing signal is not good for the his system. I knwo some that have gotten into installing a capacitor and items liek this but I was just wondering if there was an easier way to just bypass the drl's and turn them off.

bsquared

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
does anyone know if it would be possible to wire up the park lights as the drls and then wire the low beam as the park lights. Am I correct in assuming that if you cut the positive wire going to each of the lights and changed them out you could have the park light as the drl and then when you turned on the parking lights you would have your low beam come on. Would this allow for the low beam to stay on with the hibeam as well? The one issue I could see is that you would loose you parking lights when you turned on your hibeams.

Is this just too complicated. Maybe someone knows of a simpler option to disable the drl’s or to switch them to another light source..

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know if it would be possible to wire up the park lights as the drls and then wire the low beam as the park lights. Am I correct in assuming that if you cut the positive wire going to each of the lights and changed them out you could have the park light as the drl and then when you turned on the parking lights you would have your low beam come on. Would this allow for the low beam to stay on with the hibeam as well? The one issue I could see is that you would loose you parking lights when you turned on your hibeams.

Is this just too complicated. Maybe someone knows of a simpler option to disable the drl’s or to switch them to another light source..
If you set your headlights to park then it would turn on your low beams and nothing else. Maybe not a big deal, but I wouldn't like it.

Personally, I would wire the low beams through a relay which is switched by the main headlamp switch. That way, the DRL can think that it's doing its thing while the relay is off, and then when you switch the headlights on the relay activates and juice really flows to the headlamps. Just my .02.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals