• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

headlight question

scott5640

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
cool, thanks..im going to see if its easy enough to do, cuz im lazy

aaron_ariens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I wanna do that too, no side blinkers on I-5 is kinda scary.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have done the blinker mod. It's a damn shame we even have to do this - since there's no excuse for Ford not to make the damn side marker a blinker in the first place.

I already knew how to do this mod, so I didn't need any of the write-ups. Most of the write-ups I've seen are way more complex than they need to be and confusing anyway. So if anyone is having any trouble understanding it, I have a simple way to show how it's done.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Basically take the side marker grounds and attached them to the pulsed 12V?

aaron_ariens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
You should post up the simple way.

&& x2 Ford really should have done this.

scott5640

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have done the blinker mod. It's a damn shame we even have to do this - since there's no excuse for Ford not to make the damn side marker a blinker in the first place.

I already knew how to do this mod, so I didn't need any of the write-ups. Most of the write-ups I've seen are way more complex than they need to be and confusing anyway. So if anyone is having any trouble understanding it, I have a simple way to show how it's done.
please show

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

This is on my 2004.

Grab a piece of wire you have laying around somewhere. Use a gauge equal or heavier than the wires you're going to be working with. In the photo, you can see the heavy white wire I used. A 10" length will be fine. Strip an inch or two of the sheath off each end.

There are 3 wires that go to the turn signal bulb - black, brown, and striped. Leave the black/brown wires alone. (The color of the striped wire may vary from driver to passenger side and from one model year to another, but that's irrelevant)

Strip back some of the sheath on the striped wire. You do not actually cut this wire, you're simply going to be branching another wire off it. Twist the end of your new piece of wire around the exposed area of striped wire. (A)

The side marker has 2 wires, brown and black. Leave the brown wire alone. Cut the black wire a few inches from the bulb socket, and strip back some of the sheath on the end that goes to the bulb. Twist the other end of your new piece of wire to it. (B)

Test the lights. The turn signal and side marker will blink together with the parklamps/headlamps off, and will alternate with the parklamps/headlamps on.

Use electrical tape to tape up the wires. For the long end of the black wire that went to the side marker, tape off the end and tuck it somewhere out of the way. This wire does nothing anymore. (C)

You can use wire taps or solder the wires, but I've never had any issues with the twist-and-tape method on any vehicle I've done this on.

Last edited:

aaron_ariens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome man! Thank you so much.

I gotta do this soon.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice vid link. HAHAHA.

Jay...sketchy bro. Sketchy.

The mod in it's basic form, the corner light has two wires. Cut the ground wire, crimp or solder on a wire onto the ground at the bulb, tie that into signal hot. One wire to running lamp, one wire to the signal.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Jay...sketchy bro. Sketchy.
And no explanation as to why it's sketchy?

There's more than one way to skin a cat. I know that you know how this mod is done, so you must realize that this will work. Since you didn't elaborate, I'm going to guess that you have a problem with twisting the wires together.

If there was anything whatsoever that was half-ass about it, I wouldn't have done it to my own truck, and definitely wouldn't suggest it to anyone else. These wires don't move, and really shouldn't see much moisture. Twisted together and tightly wrapped with electrical tape - they aren't going anywhere.

I did this on another vehicle and it held up just fine in the 5 years I had it. I did it on a friends Ranger and 3 years later he has no problems with it. It's been working out fine for over a year on my Ranger. That speaks for itself. If 9 combined years of my method of this mod working flawlessly is "sketchy", so be it. The proof is in the puddin'.

Furthermore, I am the one who pointed out that you can use taps or solder. I was just simplifying what needs to be done to do this mod. How an individual chooses to secure his connections is up to him.

Just because this isn't the way that you would go about it, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. I will let whoever reads this be the judge. Is a piece of wire, a piece of tape, and 10 minutes of time to do a mod that will last forever really "sketchy"?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Personally...there is no correct way other than soldering all connections....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals