• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help Me oh wise fellow ranger owners!!!!!!

Carbon_Fiber_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V-6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm greatful because i got to purchase my first ranger, that runs great.:headbang:
It is a 98 xlt 2wd 4.0 5 speed
Now the issues i would like to tackle and fix with your guys help...

1) When i turn the key forward (before start) i have no cluster indacation lights, for example, ck engine light, service engine, abs, and what ever else should be lit up, The only ones that work are the seat belt light and the battery light, and the door ajar light, oh and the e (brake) sometime works when pressed in. So What i need to know is where do i look first for the prob. Fuse, relay's :icon_confused: and my dash dimmer switch works fine headlight turnsignals just fyi

2) I also have NO dome lights, put new bulbs in and the clear fuse in and nothing... Also the box where the where you turn the key on/off to actavate the air bag doesn't light up eather... and my three knobs for the heat/ac, fan and hot/cold don't light up eather....

3) Oh and my horn doesn't work eather,

So Please can someone put me in the right direction to start troubleshooting one or all these annoying issues.

P.S. I'll be driving alone and that ding or warning ding goes off twice 5-7 times then stops, but no warning lights come on but all is well from the gauges. engine/water Temp is good, oil pressure/ battery ect.

Thanks in advance for you replies guys.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Some possibilities

1) When i turn the key forward (before start) i have no cluster indacation lights, for example, ck engine light, service engine, abs, and what ever else should be lit up, The only ones that work are the seat belt light and the battery light, and the door ajar light, oh and the e (brake) sometime works when pressed in. So What i need to know is where do i look first for the prob. Fuse, relay's :icon_confused: and my dash dimmer switch works fine headlight turnsignals just fyi.
Bulbs could be removed or blown for the ones your not gettin....

2) I also have NO dome lights, put new bulbs in and the clear fuse in and nothing... Also the box where the where you turn the key on/off to actavate the air bag doesn't light up eather... and my three knobs for the heat/ac, fan and hot/cold don't light up eather.....
Does your dome light switch/adjustment work?

Sounds like bulbs again on the knobs & air bag switch.....

3) Oh and my horn doesn't work eather.
Could be the clock-spring...........

P.S. I'll be driving alone and that ding or warning ding goes off twice 5-7 times then stops, but no warning lights come on but all is well from the gauges. engine/water Temp is good, oil pressure/ battery ect.
Seatbelt off when this happens? If so, it's the SB warnin thing that dings so many times then quits................If not, then unsure.

Last edited:

Carbon_Fiber_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V-6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Now the clock spring how would i fix that and what is it. lol:icon_confused:

Also how would i take apart my dash i'm assuming to get to the yellow bulbs so i can get the CEL to turn on! lol usally people would like it off. :icon_rofl:

and the dome light switch ?? I mean i took it apart and the swich only goes to pass/ driver and middle for off. but it seem like the screws need to be in there too for it to be grounded/ work?

and what is the 3rd break light hooked to the cargo or break light up there don't work and put in new bulbs too?

Thanks again for your reply guys. I promise to pitch in when every i can.:icon_cheers:

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>

Now the clock spring how would i fix that and what is it. lol:icon_confused::
It's behind the air bag in the steerin wheel and if it goes bad, the horn won't work, can also affect the turn signals, as I had this happen in a 95 F150.

Also how would i take apart my dash i'm assuming to get to the yellow bulbs so i can get the CEL to turn on! lol usally people would like it off. :icon_rofl::
Take the bezel off, then remove the cluster, and look at the bulbs.

and the dome light switch ?? I mean i took it apart and the swich only goes to pass/ driver and middle for off. but it seem like the screws need to be in there too for it to be grounded/ work?
Not talkin bout the switch on the light itself, but the dimmer switch that usually mounted on the left side of the dash and YES, be sure its screwed down tight.

and what is the 3rd break light hooked to the cargo or break light up there don't work and put in new bulbs too?
Brake light.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals