• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Detroit 453 supercharged 4.0 l OHV

STX87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys,
I am from Iceland
I have a ´91 Ranger with a supercharged 4.0.
I custom fitted an old detroit 453 blower to my engine and I have driven the car about 2000 miles without problems.
The boost is 4-6 psi.
I still have the original fuel system and the engine is running a little lean, judged by looking at the spark plugs because I don´t have a wideband air/fuel meter.

My questions to you are: How can I increase richness of the mixture without a major operation? Can I use injectors from a 4.0 SOHC? Or can I get a boost referranced pressure regulator that can be easily fitted?

Here are som pics of the engine compartment and the car, and a youtube video of one of the first startups:
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiSZsEFxkg

Attachments

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forums. The stock fuel pressure regulator should be regulating the fuel pressure as it goes from maximum vacuum to maximum boost but as you have stated it's probably not enough. This is just a suggestion as I have not tried it myself but it should work in theory. If you change the resistance of the air temperature sensor and/or the mass airflow sensor to trick the computer into thinking the motor is running colder or ingesting more air than it actually is that should richen up the mixture. A wide-band would be a good idea though so you could see what the effect is.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Drop in a set of light blue injectors (24 lb) from a 24v contour, or f series truck that had a 460...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals