• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Skyjacker Leveling Kit Plus Spacer

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the Skyjacker 132 coils on my 96 4x4 Supercab 4.0L. They've been on there for a little less than a year, and they've definitely settled a bit from when I first installed them. I've also swapped in Explorer leafs in the back, so the front looks a little low to me. (Is this just a regular problem for other truck owners? Always needs more lift? haha)

Anyways, I read the article on optimizing the skyjacker coils (http://therangerstation.com/Magazine/Mar04/offroad.htm) but the article is just talking about the 4 and 6 inch ones... I know in theory it should work for a leveling coil as well. The question I have is, how much lift/spacer can I put in there before it affects my caster so much that I need radius arm brackets?

If the leveling coil provided 1 1-2" of lift, then eventually settled to just 1" of lift, and I put a 2 in coil spacer - that would be 3 inches of lift. All the commercial lift kits I see are 2 inch lifts (no brackets needed) or 4 inch kits (that come with brackets). Could I get away with that? Or should I just add about an inch worth of washers?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
2" is the typical maximum lift you can go before you need drop brackets to realign it.

However every truck is a little bit different, so you might be able to go a little more than that and still align it, or you might not.

If you want to try to find where your maximum height is in increments, washers would be the way to do it.

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not what you would call super lazy, but definitely too lazy to take my coils out and rebuild everything 4 times in a row, haha.

Is there any way to measure the lift/that part of the suspension? ie, "your stock suspension should measure x inches from this spot to this spot, so x+2 is where you would max out". or "on level ground, your radius arms should have a slight upward/flat angle, if they have a downward angle, you've gone too far."
I have the moog adjustable camber sleeve - could that help me any, or is that basically just for a 2" as well?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It takes me about 15 minutes to R&R a coil spring (25 mins if the shock needs to come off also) after jacking the truck up. :D

On this page toward the bottom is a diagram showing where the suspension height should sit ideally (beam pivot bolts 1" above wheel hub center).
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

You can deviate about 1½", maybe 2" higher than this and still be able to align the camber (beam pivots 2½-3" above hub center). This is cutting it close though (leaves little or no room for any needed caster adjustments), I'd go a max of about 2" above hub center with the pivots if it were mine.

Does that help?

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It takes me about 15 minutes to R&R a coil spring (25 mins if the shock needs to come off also) after jacking the truck up. :D

On this page toward the bottom is a diagram showing where the suspension height should sit ideally (beam pivot bolts 1" above wheel hub center).
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

You can deviate about 1½", maybe 2" higher than this and still be able to align the camber (beam pivots 2½-3" above hub center). This is cutting it close though (leaves little or no room for any needed caster adjustments), I'd go a max of about 2" above hub center with the pivots if it were mine.

Does that help?
That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals