• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In need of suggestions

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well here I am trying to redo my interior on my truck. Its the beginning of my first full on project. Im going to be pulling the a/c in the process and probably the fans too. Where im stuck is... Should I try and "delete" the vents? How can I do such a thing while maintaining the texture of the plastic? Should I just leave the vents as they are? Got any ideas I haven't thought of? Im going for kind of a function over form, but still classy sort of theme here.

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Um, are you seriously suggesting removing the entire HVAC system?

I get not really wanting AC on a vehicle. I hate car AC, I'd rather have the windows down. But if you remove the fan and the vents you won't have a defroster either. I don't know where you are, but in about 75% of the US that becomes an issue at some point in the year.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Um, are you seriously suggesting removing the entire HVAC system?

I get not really wanting AC on a vehicle. I hate car AC, I'd rather have the windows down. But if you remove the fan and the vents you won't have a defroster either. I don't know where you are, but in about 75% of the US that becomes an issue at some point in the year.
X2 I completely gutted the interior of my truck, yanked out all the a.c. stuff and swapped for a non a.c. blower housing but I kept the windshield vents so that I still have heat and defrost in my mild winter desert climate.

I would just swap the a.c. blower housing for a non a.c. one and call it a day. Later down the road you can always yank it out if you decide you really want to.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wont be daily driving this truck. Already got me a new daily driver (94 3.0 xlt 2wd... Gets me here and there) so I am going to be gutting those.

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I guess ill hit you with an ignorant question... Do race cars have interior fans? Haha

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it's literally just a weekend trailrig kind of truck them I would just go ahead and do whatever your heart desires.

I had three main reasons for leaving my vents intact on my above pictured off road only use prerunner.

1) I hate the cold and the defrost vents weren't going to be in the way of a future cab cage.

2) I haven't completely written off making the truck daily drivable again so I would need defrost in winter. Plus I hate being cold.

3) I could kick on heater if my engine started to get a little warm while hammering on the skinny pedal to help engine cooling slightly.

I was at first just going to pick up a 12v aftermarket cab heater and gut everything for cage work but I decided I could do that later if I really wanted to and it would save me the hassle of removing a working system that was already conviently in place.

Im not sure exactly what you're asking about race cars but I think you were pointing in the direction of electric heaters etc. If so, yes that's a thing. Idk how they work as far as defrosting goes though.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering if there was any absolute necessity to having vent fans, heater. I live in California and I actually prefer the cool over the heat. Basically im windows down 95% of the year with almost no reliance on the heat/ac. Im almost set on gutting everything underneath the dash and slapping it back in. But my main concern lies with the actual vents on the dashboard themselves. Has anyone tried shaving them? Or does anyone have any means of getting rid of them to clean up and smooth out the dashboard?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Have you pulled the insert out of the dash yet?

On my 96, that is very close to all later years in design, had a removeable piece that went over the dash vent for defrost and I'm pretty sure with a bit of fiberglass or other material that you could patch that up if you wanted to...

The side vents may be a bit trickier, but I recall that they also have inserts mostly...plugging them wouldn't be hard either...or you could simply plug the inserts by covering them over and then popping them back in...been a while since I looked at mine so I might be a bit off on this...

Pulling the dash is actually not hard if you need to to do what you want...but some of those holes are used to access the attachments if I recall...

I'm with the others on not doing this but it sounds like you are probably never going to run this on damp or cold days...that's when the vents are most needed...in Canada anyways...

I'm too old for sex in vehicles and that was another reason for liking having a good defroster...maybe a victory lap dance when you win a race...haha...

Last edited:

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be similar. My current daily driven 94 xlt has a near identical dashboard so im sure its the same style. As for the project all the panels + the dashboard are pulled and im going to be refinishing it all. Figure this would be the best time to delete some holes. I have the passenger side vent pulled apart and I've cut a little cardboard backing piece that im going to glue on the inside so I can attempt to fill the piece so its flush. I've heard alot about this stuff called sugru that's supposed to be like playdoh that hardens to rubber and bonds with a bunch of different surfaces. Never used it before but im gonna give it a shot I guess. I saw a page on this guy who used it to plug small holes in his center console. He was even able to create a sort of texture stamp with some of the sugru by pressing a chunk of it on one of his panels. Totally stealing his idea. Ill post pictures if there's any success/if anyone really cares

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd be interested in how things turn out. Post some pics when done, please. And maybe a link to this "sugru".

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For sure. It may be a few days. It takes 24 hours for the stuff to cure and I just made my "stamp piece". I will say they really don't give you a lot of this stuff for the money. Its like 12 bucks for 15 grams of the stuff... Also got my vent piece backed and almost ready to fill. Just playing the waiting game until tomorrow evening! And just google up sugru. They have their own website. Big name hardware stores should carry it. Got mine at osh

Attachments

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This shit isn't going to work. I need to do it proper and find some plastic filler. I guess there are texture sprays just for this kind of thing but haven't found one right for the application yet.

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
SEM texture spray? Anyone use it? Debating using it over bondo.

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Using some plastic epoxy, cardboard, bondo, texture spray, primer and the color im shooting my interior with, I finished my piece! Looks alright to me. I will keep using this method to fill/delete the rest of the vent spaces

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals