• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

push rod ohv question

chessman21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1969 f-600hd
Make / Model
1991 ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
i think i got a tapping lifter maybe so it sounds. can the top of the lifter be accessed with straw/carburetor spray through the rod hole? Or is this even possible on this engine?

i changed the oil/filter with O'Reilly brand 5/30 then added bout 10oz of seafoam put 500 miles on it changed again oil/filter to castrol gtx 5/30 with one quart replaced with Lucas synthetic. 300 miles so far & i still got the tic.:annoyed:

Marvel Mystery Oil?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Marvel Mystery oil may do you some good, but "tapping noises"
from a 4.0 are usually caused by the pushrod Vs rocker arm wear/Galling

AD

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There is NOT a hole in the pushrods so there is NO oil going through the push rods and this is what causes the rocker arms and push rods to wear out on the OHV v6 engines.You might have a stuck lifter,but it could just as easily be the excessive clearance between your rocker arms and push rods.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The pushrod oiling system is severely lacking without an oil hole through the pushrod. I replaced two of mine on a 48k motor that had the tips ground down but the other 10 had perfect wear. The melling pushrods look to be made of a harder material but you'll have to inspect the rockers or replace them as well.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
One correction I've done on a 4.0 engine is to champfer the oil hole in the rocker arm end of the pushrod tom try to capture as much of the oil that it flying around under the valve-cover at operating speed.

This can easily be done with a drill and a countersink or a die grinder and a carbide burr.

My method was to make the end of the rocker arm into a "funnel"

it seems to have worked, but it also might have been the generous application of
moly paste grease (cam break-in lube) that I applied inside the pushrod sockets and to the ends of the push rods....

YES, it needs to be remembered this is a FORD 4.0 not a Chevrolet "small block", the pushrods are
NOT part of the oil delivery system to the valve-train.

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals