• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help changed TFI,Coil,Plug Wires,Plugs, same results

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If it works...it works...lol

Very intermittent though. Still sounds like you have an issue with loose wires or a harness that has frayed coating and it is arcing on something...but...I will shut up and hope it stays running for you...:)

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
If it works...it works...lol

Very intermittent though. Still sounds like you have an issue with loose wires or a harness that has frayed coating and it is arcing on something...but...I will shut up and hope it stays running for you...:)

Mark

Thanks for hanging in there Mark, trying to help that is by far outstanding a great person TRS should be so thankful for I know I am more than you know. I took the FPR vacuum tube off it smells like exhaust no fuel smell. I did clean out the fitting that goes into the plenum it was kinda blocked with white crud. Its all free and clear and tube has no leaks. Now as I have noticed a big yellow wire in the harness next to the inner finder apron on the drivers side had two areas the mouse ate through the coating. I have no idea what that wire goes to? now looking at the hood light wire I noticed it had bare copper wire at the of the plastic cover at the connector. Well as I lowered the hood they come real close together maybe this is wishful thinking. I took and un-plugged the hood light at the connector and covered the hot end of it

What is that big thick yellow wire? I need some black electrical tape there is one small blue wire in the same harness with areas of copper. All other wires are fine just those two my head hurts this is just bugging me like nothing els. I did move the yellow and blue wire apart as to no contact before driving this last few times. I have a Chilton Manual on my Ranger it helps but as far as wiring I am lost as is the issues at hand

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It does sound like you cleared it up...but, then again, the moment I say that...:)

The big yellow wires? On a fuel injection engine I'm not sure...the only yellow wires my 88 had were in the ignition connection for the starter circuit...the 96 had about five yellow wires but they were all merged and came out the firewall a different colour...I never bothered to TS them because the engine (2.3) was running when I tore it down and the wire harness was transferred into my 88 along with the entire dash and steering column.

I imagine the Haynes manual would list what they are and mine is just outside my door currently so I can look and maybe send you a pic later...dang hot out there right now and doesn't look like we are going to get any reprieve from it today.

I was just reading another thread about the fuel line check valve on the two pump systems. There is (or was) a fuel reservoir in line with your fuel pump from the tank and it is kind of odd shaped...that is what the other member was having problems with that caused rough running but also poor starts because the fuel pressure would not come up properly.

If this persists it might be something worth looking into though...as it prevents proper pressurization of the fuel and, therefore, running/starting issues...

I know your truck seems to start fine (most times) so I didn't think this was relevant to your issue.

Keep us informed either way if you have time...always good to hear something is finally fixed...:)

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Yah a bad wire was the cause of me buying a starter I din't really need. As I was taking out stuff to replace the clutch, I discovered that old Ford wiring is just as bad , if not worse than old Jeep wiring. :D

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
It does sound like you cleared it up...but, then again, the moment I say that...:)

The big yellow wires? On a fuel injection engine I'm not sure...the only yellow wires my 88 had were in the ignition connection for the starter circuit...the 96 had about five yellow wires but they were all merged and came out the firewall a different colour...I never bothered to TS them because the engine (2.3) was running when I tore it down and the wire harness was transferred into my 88 along with the entire dash and steering column.

I imagine the Haynes manual would list what they are and mine is just outside my door currently so I can look and maybe send you a pic later...dang hot out there right now and doesn't look like we are going to get any reprieve from it today.

I was just reading another thread about the fuel line check valve on the two pump systems. There is (or was) a fuel reservoir in line with your fuel pump from the tank and it is kind of odd shaped...that is what the other member was having problems with that caused rough running but also poor starts because the fuel pressure would not come up properly.

If this persists it might be something worth looking into though...as it prevents proper pressurization of the fuel and, therefore, running/starting issues...

I know your truck seems to start fine (most times) so I didn't think this was relevant to your issue.

Keep us informed either way if you have time...always good to hear something is finally fixed...:)
Mark

I am still trying to figure out the big yellow wire it seams to go toward the headlights. Now after the split fuel line on the gauge setup it may have blead the fuel line of air? and after cleaning out the FPR vacuum fitting into the plenum that may have helped. This afternoon I turned the key on it clicked and I herd a humm of the fuel pump for a couple seconds. This is the first time I herd this the old pump never made a sound. This evening it was 89 temp I fired it up drove up the 6 mile grade to town no popping. I took the off ramp stopped no popping first time in a long time. The real test will be Tuesday I got to drive 35 miles down to Placerville Ca after that its all up hill it will be in the upper 90's on temp

It sounds good I got a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler and two Magniflow Cats. I just hope it stays good its got to the point where I can't trust it

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
:icon_thumby:

I'm not saying anything...:) other than :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals