• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what the hell???

20yearredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my stuck stalled out about a week ago like it was out of gas or there was no vaccuum pressure. but today i went to start it to move it and its running with no problem. thought it was a fuel pump but could it be something else?
please help

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Coil?

TFI module?

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html

As far as the fuel, if it dies again pop the hood and on the fuel rail you will see the schrader valve(looks like a tire air valve), put rag/towel over it(your hands) and press in the center pin, like letting air out of a tire, there should be 30psi of press in there so fuel should squirt out, if it does gas ain't your problem.
Also turn key on and you should hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds, if not the Fuel Pump relay is a common problem on older Rangers, on the '86 it should be on the passenger side fender/wheel well, it will have a Green base/plug, they are not expensive.
The EEC relay(Brown base) is right next door, failure of this one is not so common but it will also cut fuel as it powers the Fuel Pump relay.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck used to do this. It stopped stalling after I changed the fuel pressure regulator. It was CLOGGED.

Nissan used to do this when the fuel filter got too dirty.

20yearredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks

replaced the coil now its running like a champ

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If this is the first time coil has given you a problem then it is probably just an age issue.

Distributor system coils would often run too hot and fail early, the solution to this problem was to reduce the voltage at the coil by a few volts, i.e. 12v down to 8v.
This reduces the coil heat significantly.
Manufacturers would install a Ballast Resistor on the 12volt "+" coil wire, to reduce the voltage.
You can do the same.

It does reduce spark voltage which isn't an issue most of the time, but on cold engine in cold weather, a hotter spark might be needed.
So what the manufacturers also added was a 12v wire from starter motor side of starter solenoid to the "+" on the coil(with Diode), what this did was to give the coil 12volts only when starter motor was being used, so hot spark for starting.
On 4 post solenoid, that's what the 4th post was for, the "I" post goes to the "+" on the coil, "I" has 12v when starter motor does, no diode needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals