• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Very Soft Break Pedal

BryanG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just picked up a 2000 4.0 Ranger for my son with 117k miles. Only major concern I have so far is the break pedal is very soft and you have to push it pretty far down for it to apply the brakes. Anyone have an idea to help correct this? Do the lines need bled, could they have air in the lines? Bad master cylinder? Just looking for ideas where to start. Thanks!!!

mooty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just picked up a 2000 4.0 Ranger for my son with 117k miles. Only major concern I have so far is the break pedal is very soft and you have to push it pretty far down for it to apply the brakes. Anyone have an idea to help correct this? Do the lines need bled, could they have air in the lines? Bad master cylinder? Just looking for ideas where to start. Thanks!!!
I would start by inspecting your brakes. Jack it up and have a look at the internals of your drums and calipers. While you've got access to each brake, and assuming no brake fluid leaks or other issues, bleed em.

BryanG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Found the cause. No fluid in the resivor = broken rear drivers side great line. Now for the fun of replacing it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That would do it :)

Another thing that can happen is that people often don't use the emergency brake(parking brake), especially in automatics.

There are only two ways rear brake shoes can be adjusted, outside of pulling out the rubber plug on the backing plate and doing it manually.
1. use Parking brake often, this rotates the Star wheel and keeps rear shoes close to drums
2. back up and stop using the regular brakes, this also rotates the Star wheel.

In regular driving the rear shoes just wear down and more and more fluid is needed to push them out enough to hit the drums, soft pedal.

If brake pedal feels soft hold out the Park Brake release handle and pump the Parking brake pedal, you should feel it tighten up, and the regular brake pedal along with it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals