• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 2.3 w/ 4 wheel ABS- strange abs sounds and hard pedal feel, need advice

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey guys,

Just got a 1996 2.3 4x4 Ranger with 4 wheel ABS. I noticed a bunch of fuses for ABS had been removed, ABS light on on the dash, so I replaced the fuses and the light went off.

Went out in my snowy backyard to test the ABS. I'm very confused by how the ABS sound and feel. If you stomp on the brakes I feel a faint pumping action in the pedal, but the pedal also gets very stiff (feels locked?) unlike it did before I put the fuses in. The weirdest thing is that the pedal makes a very odd noise that sounds like an electric motor (whirring sound).

I will say that the ABS seem to work well in terms of stopping, I didn't notice any skids or lock up, and the stopping distance was very good. During light braking, brakes act totally normal.

Are the odd pedal feel and the "whirring" sound normal? I have never had ABS on any ranger I had previously.

I could take a video tomorrow and post it if that helps. The sound is pretty audible.

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ABS stands for anti-brake-system. It actually releases your brakes. It depends on what surface you were driving on and the circumstances and alot of other variables but in its most basic description if the ecm senses a wheel turning a different speed than another it knows that wheel is spinning and will release the brake to try to get the traction back. The sound and feel will sometimes feel like the pedal is vibrating and there can be a motor like noise. From what I'm understanding of your post it would seem your brakes are working properly hopefully someone else with more knowledge can add in. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the tone rings. Won't cost you anything. Hope this helped.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The ABS system in your truck does more than just release the brakes. If actually has a fluid pump so it can release and apply them, just as if you were pumping them to come to a stop of slippery roads, just doing it the same number of times you can in a minute every second or so.

This will result in a high frequency clicking noise as the valve cycle, as well as a whirring noise when the pump runs.

It also causes the pedal to try and push back against your foot as that pump applies pressure to the whole system, up and down stream.

Pretty much everything you described there is normal for an operating ABS system. The key to it, for people who aren't used to driving an ABS equipped vehicle, is to not let it freak you out. Just hold that pedal down as hard as you can and ride it to the stop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals