• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Revving now feels governed/limited above 3500 rpm

paulnola

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
The radiator, fan clutch and water pump have been replaced, the cooling system filled and checked for leaks. All electrical and vacuum connections are in place. Everything looks ok but while letting it run for a little while after starting it up, something seems to be limiting or governing the rpm range. After it warmed up I gave it a few deep pushes on the pedal. It revved up to about 3500 rpm then kind of stuttered and bogged down. It did not stall or sound like it was going to die, but it would not rev much higher than that. Holding the pedal down, it felt like the engine was shaking much more than normal, as well as making a whooshing, almost air sucking sound - different than the sound of the new fan clutch. I shut it off and looked for any vacuum hoses that may have disconnected but found none. I started it back up to listen but did not hear anything out of place below 3500 rpm.

I drove to work this morning for the first time in two weeks. I do not have to get off of local streets, so I did not have to run at highway speeds. Everything seemed normal but I did not push it above 3500. I will try to open it up on the way home this afternoon and observe what it does.

Has anyone had something similar happen? Should I be very concerned or worried? Two weeks without my truck was long enough; I don't want her to be down and not driveable anymore.

Flint311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My daughters did that. It's the TPS, most likely. The "sucking sound" is the opening of the throttle, without more gas being dumped in to get higher RPM's. You can test yours with an OHMS meter and screw driver after taking it out. Readings should change as the screw driver is turned further. My daughters' stopped at 1/2 way.......

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All Fords with automatic transmissions limit revs to 3500 in Neutral and Park.

Normal.

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All Fords with automatic transmissions limit revs to 3500 in Neutral and Park.

Normal.
ya, if its an auto, fords have a fuel cutoff at 3500. if its in neutral or park

paulnola

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
Thanks all - that is good to know. I am relieved that it is not some new problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals