• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 head on 2.3 block

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I see it! thanks! so that confirms the right hose goes to thermostate housing but i need to found out where the left hose goes to, do you know what plug go to oil pressure switch in the back of the head
Depends on what one you have on the engine...mine had originally a red or black boot similar to the one on the ignition solenoid but I remember cutting the boot off because it wouldn't stay on and I crimped an 0 ring onto the wire and put a nut on to keep it in place...

I also have an image of that on my PB account but the last one I uploaded took me ten minutes because PB has turned into an advertising jamboree and my old XP computer doesn't handle it well...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Depends on what one you have on the engine...mine had originally a red or black boot similar to the one on the ignition solenoid but I remember cutting the boot off because it wouldn't stay on and I crimped an 0 ring onto the wire and put a nut on to keep it in place...

I also have an image of that on my PB account but the last one I uploaded took me ten minutes because PB has turned into an advertising jamboree and my old XP computer doesn't handle it well...
Im going to upload a pic ofthe whole engine to see what you think i have to find the oil pressure switch and find out where these two wires go and take care those hoses and ill be good to go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14

Heres the image so the one with blue arrow is the one going to thermostat housing the one with red and blue is the one with splitter that is currently going nowhere

Attachments

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Right, OK, perfect.

Now just remove the splitter (doesn't seem to be any clamps on it so that should be easy enough and get a hose connector to join the two ends together and then connect the loose end of the hose to the front of the engine.

That will complete the heater core hose routing fluids from the engine to the heater box.

No need to worry about the connection to the intake because there is no way the coolant can get into or out of the head on the intake side.

Done!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14

Ohh!! i found where they go im sorry stupid me the a/c was covering the other port to the water pump aso i take the spliter off and run it dirrectly to that.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Right, OK, perfect.

Now just remove the splitter (doesn't seem to be any clamps on it so that should be easy enough and get a hose connector to join the two ends together and then connect the loose end of the hose to the front of the engine.

That will complete the heater core hose routing fluids from the engine to the heater box.

No need to worry about the connection to the intake because there is no way the coolant can get into or out of the head on the intake side.

Done!
Do you know if the 2.5 head uses the same oil type as 2.3 i believe the 2.3 took 5w-30 if im correct

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Do you know if the 2.5 head uses the same oil type as 2.3 i believe the 2.3 took 5w-30 if im correct
That will work fine in the 2.5 head but if you want to know more about oil there are a few sites online that will give you more than you ever needed to know about oil...lol

I read some Bob is the oil guy documents a few years ago and never needed to worry about anything more after that...other than to check the oil at least once a week and keep an eye on the gauges.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ohh!! i found where they go im sorry stupid me the a/c was covering the other port to the water pump aso i take the spliter off and run it dirrectly to that.
Well, that's partly why I decided to remove the Power Steering and anything else that might drain power and clutter things up.

Glad you found it...they really are simple engines to work on and once you are familiar with it you will wonder why it seemed so complicated...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Well, that's partly why I decided to remove the Power Steering and anything else that might drain power and clutter things up.

Glad you found it...they really are simple engines to work on and once you are familiar with it you will wonder why it seemed so complicated...
My last thing i need help from you with is the upper intake by throttlle body hopfully i i got those plugs right and than these are the last two parts i cant find where they go.

Attachments

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
the first image (throttlebody2.jpg) shows two things...the wire on the right is the engine ground strap...or looks like one...and that seems much longer than needed unless someone put it on after market. it should go from the head to the firewall just behind the engine. the only one I ever saw on these engines connects to a stud on the intake side near the back of the engine and is only about 10" long. It doesn't matter how long it is but just to keep things clean it should be as short as possible.

There is a stud on the firewall near the wiper motor that should allow you to connect the strap to that. It helps reduce static electricity and saves things like computers from getting zapped.

The second item in that image with the red arrow pointing to it I'm not sure about. There was a cable for the power steering reservoir in that area on my 96 but any time you need information on where something goes it is best to disconnect one end and take a shot of the connector. In most cases the connector can be identified and that says what it is...there is a connector catalogue in the How To Tech section that can tell you what they are and how to replace them so you get the identity...deductions Watson!

The second image (unknownparts.jpb) shows the breather attachment that goes from the throttle body to the airbox where the air filter is. It should have an opening that matches one end or the other of that section or that section goes on the Throttle Body and connects to another hose that connects to the airbox.

That canister with the small hose connected to it is a valve that allows warm air to be sucked into the intake during warmup. Once the warmup temperature is reached the idle drops and the flap closes to allow fresh air in to operate the engine.

The longer accordian hose attaches to the opposite side of the canister and goes down to the exhaust manifold where it allows warm air to flow up into the engine.

If you live in a warm climate you likely don't need that tubing at all...if you live in cold climate it helps the warmup cycle...

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the link to the connector pdf...look under the Wiring section...the top item is the Ford Connector listing...that shows you every type of connector Ford used...at least as far as I know...

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-exterior_electronics_and_lighting.shtml

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
the first image (throttlebody2.jpg) shows two things...the wire on the right is the engine ground strap...or looks like one...and that seems much longer than needed unless someone put it on after market. it should go from the head to the firewall just behind the engine. the only one I ever saw on these engines connects to a stud on the intake side near the back of the engine and is only about 10" long. It doesn't matter how long it is but just to keep things clean it should be as short as possible.

There is a stud on the firewall near the wiper motor that should allow you to connect the strap to that. It helps reduce static electricity and saves things like computers from getting zapped.

The second item in that image with the red arrow pointing to it I'm not sure about. There was a cable for the power steering reservoir in that area on my 96 but any time you need information on where something goes it is best to disconnect one end and take a shot of the connector. In most cases the connector can be identified and that says what it is...there is a connector catalogue in the How To Tech section that can tell you what they are and how to replace them so you get the identity...deductions Watson!

The second image (unknownparts.jpb) shows the breather attachment that goes from the throttle body to the airbox where the air filter is. It should have an opening that matches one end or the other of that section or that section goes on the Throttle Body and connects to another hose that connects to the airbox.

That canister with the small hose connected to it is a valve that allows warm air to be sucked into the intake during warmup. Once the warmup temperature is reached the idle drops and the flap closes to allow fresh air in to operate the engine.

The longer accordian hose attaches to the opposite side of the canister and goes down to the exhaust manifold where it allows warm air to flow up into the engine.

If you live in a warm climate you likely don't need that tubing at all...if you live in cold climate it helps the warmup cycle...

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the link to the connector pdf...look under the Wiring section...the top item is the Ford Connector listing...that shows you every type of connector Ford used...at least as far as I know...
Okay thanks! it looks like everything is pluged up correctly (i hope so) but im going to plug the breather in as far as the tube i live in fl st petersburg tempatures rarely get below 70 here lol.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Providing an update got everything back on and the truck starts but shuts right back off were thinking its the fuel pump or something of that nature i've already taken off the bed and hopefully its the fuel pump relay is working but my dad doesn't here a sound coming from pump. any other scenario would cause it to cut on but shut back off ?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Heres the ranger btw interior and exterior I stripped everything from inside cleaned and restored it and sanded down floor and painted it and laid fresh insulation down

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals