• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need my motor swap plans double checked!

Stormranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello new guy here been lurking for awhile but just joined. Here's my question I have a 1995 ranger 3.0 5spd 4x4 with a blown motor. And I have a 1993 3.0 5spd 2wd. I want to put the good motor in the 4x4. Will the motor and tranny from the 2wd bolt right in and up to transfer case? Or do I need to use tranny from 4x4? Do I need to swap wiring harness from 93? Thank you for any help and answers wanting to do this this week!:icon_thumby::icon_welder:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Keep the 4X4 transmission. The 2wd trans won't mate to the transfer case.
I'm not sure if the oil pans are different between 2wd and 4wd, but you may need to change the oil pans.
Put the cam synchro from the 95 engine onto the 93 engine in place of the distributor.
You may need to keep the 95 electrical sensors and wiring harness as well.

Stormranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So do I need to take all the sensors off the 95 motor and install in the 93 motor or are they already there? And is distributor replacement required? I've started pulling the motor out of the 2wd could I just use the harness from 93 or would that not work with dash etc? Thank you for the response!

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some of the sensors may already be in the 93 engine, but there could be differences with connector styles, etc. I'd look at both engines once the blown engine is out, and compare.
You basically need to keep everything that is currently on the 95 engine the same as it is right now, so look at the sensors, and if they're different, then put the 95 sensors into the 93 engine.

You will need to replace the distributor in the 93 engine with the cam synchro and coil pack from the 95. Otherwise, the PCM will be trying to send a signal to a coil pack that isn't there, and it would cause issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals