• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ECU Trouble

SumoPsycho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, I have a 2000 Ranger 3.0 4X4 and just swapped out the bad auto trans for a 5 spd. The swap went good, trans and all related parts are in and the truck runs and drives (I plan on doing a thread on my swap after i get the bugs worked out)

I installed the ECU from the donor truck a 98 3.0 4X4 the truck runs and drives with the 98 ECU but has a rough idle, after driving 5-10 miles the check engine light came on with 2 codes saying right & left bank rich. I didn't think the 98 ECU was going to work just figured I would give it a try.
I re-installed the original ECU and it runs & drives ok and gives 5 trans related codes as I suspected as it can't communicate with the auto trans.

The truck came with a ECU ID# XL5F-JG (6-183 3.0L, flex fuel US mkt,
4x4, AT, std emis Fed)
I bought a ECU out of a 2000 Ranger 3.0 4X4 w/manual trans, ID# XL5F-NG (6-183 3.0L, flex fuel US mkt, 4x4, MT, std emis Fed)

I figured this would be the correct ECU, but the engine turns over but will not start. My 00 came with a chipped key. I started thinking maybe I would have to get the keys re-programmed for the new ECU (2000 3.0 4X4 w/manual trans, ID# XL5F-NG). But after putting the original ECU back in I tried starting the truck using a key with out a chip, and the engine dose not roll over.
This is the first time I have replaced a ECU. I would like some input on this issue before I go and tear the salvage yard a new one for selling me a junk ECU.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Pat

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It won't crank because the 00 computer needs the chipped key. The 98 doesn't need it because that truck wasn't equipped with the anti-theft system.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So how do you get a 00 motor to run in a 98?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 2000 PCM(ECU) would be the one to use, unfortunately with that year's PATS(Passive Anti-Theft Systems) you will need a locksmith(with Ford programmer) to come out with TWO new keys and program them to that PCM.
You need the programmer to do this, after you have TWO keys setup you can program more yourself.

You could put in the '98 PCM drive it to the locksmith(or dealer) swap it back to the 2000 PCM and save a bit of money.

If you got the PCM from a salvage yard maybe they have the original keys for the PCM or at least one

Last edited:

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Let me see if I understand. So you have your stock ECU (2000 auto trans), a 98 ECU (Flex fuel/Manual trans) and a 00 ECU (Flex fuel/Manual trans)? Is your truck a flex fuel to begin with?

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know how the programmed keys work but does the 98 even have the receivers for a programmed key?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your 2000 ranger has the RFID receiver, the '98 PCM(ecu) doesn't have the PATS software, it started in '99 for rangers.

Which is why it will run with the '98 PCM, but won't run well, most likely because of the flex fuel sensor and injector differences.

The PATS keys have an RFID tag inside, these do not require batteries, so outside of physical damage they don't wear out.
In the vehicle is an RF tag reader, when key is inserted it sends out a radio signal(RF) this gives the key tag just enough power to respond with it's unique ID, if that ID is in the ECMs memory then system is turned on.

SumoPsycho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Let me see if I understand. So you have your stock ECU (2000 auto trans), a 98 ECU (Flex fuel/Manual trans) and a 00 ECU (Flex fuel/Manual trans)? Is your truck a flex fuel to begin with?
You are correct, and yes the truck is a flex fuel.

The 2000 manual trans ECU is not a PATS key issue, it cranks over but will not start.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, if PATS is activated engine won't crank, dash light would be flashing as well.

Do you hear Fuel pump come on when key is turned on?
fuel pump should come on for 2 seconds to prime each time key is cycled on.

Can you check that at least one injector has 12v when key is on?
injectors all should have 12v when key is on, ECU grounds them to open.

Does coil wire have 12v with key on?
unplug connector, there will be 4 wires, 3 are grounds(controlled by ECU), 1 will have 12v when key is on.

The EEC relay powers all these systems, also the ECU

EEC relay power is from a 30amp fuse

Last edited:

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your 2000 ranger has the RFID receiver, the '98 PCM(ecu) doesn't have the PATS software, it started in '99 for rangers.

Which is why it will run with the '98 PCM, but won't run well, most likely because of the flex fuel sensor and injector differences.

The PATS keys have an RFID tag inside, these do not require batteries, so outside of physical damage they don't wear out.
In the vehicle is an RF tag reader, when key is inserted it sends out a radio signal(RF) this gives the key tag just enough power to respond with it's unique ID, if that ID is in the ECMs memory then system is turned on.
Thanks for explaining!

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It may not be helpful, but I'll share my experience with the auto to stick swap for the sake of discussion.
My truck is a 2000 3.0 FFV. It came with the auto trans stock, and PATS. I put a manual trans from a 99 FFV into the truck, along with the ECU from the 99.
I was also swapping in a new high performance engine at the same time that required a tuner. When I purchased the tuner, I had him delete the PATS from the tune.
My truck did not have the clutch pedal position sensor under the dash, so it would not crank due to the truck not knowing whether it was in gear or not. After some investigating, we decided to install the gear selector from the auto trans. We set the gear selector from the auto trans in its 'park' position, and plugged it into the trans harness in its original location. There was no change. We found a blown fuse and replaced it. The engine wouldnt budge with a non-PATS key. It would crank with a PATS key however. I'm a stubborn guy, so I kept trying to start it with the PATS key until I killed the battery. Then I charged the battery, and kept going. After 35-40 attempts to fire, the truck actually started using the PATS equipped key, even though the PATS had been deleted from the ECU.
I know that the starting issue wasn't engine related because I had been running the engine with the tune for a week by using a trigger on the starter. I honestly think it just took some time for everything to sort itself out.:icon_confused:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals