• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Temp gauge not working 99

zonki00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 3.0 flex fuel. i recently sprung a leak in the t shaped elbow that holds the coolant temp sensor and threads into the intake manifold due to neglected corrosive coolant. I just replaced this part because jb weld stopped working; i also replaced the temp sensor because it was frozen onto the old elbow. Anyways after replacing the stuff and throwing in new coolant now the temp gauge isnt working. Is there a time period for it to break in or did the thermostat maybe get messed up with an air pocket since i put new fluid in? judging by how corroded the elbow was im sure anything could have gone out but sensor and thermostat seem like the only things that would keep the gauge all the way cold. any thoughts? :icon_confused:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 1 wire temp sender is for the dashboard gauge
There is also a 2 wire temp sensor(ECT) for the PCM(computer), this is the "choke" sensor for fuel injected engines, tells the computer to run engine rich with high idle when cold.

The 1 wire sender uses the threads as it's ground, so never use sealant or tape on all the threads leave some bare threads at the bottom for a good ground.

To test if its the sender or the gauge/wire that is the issue, turn on key, remove the 1 wire on the sender.
Temp gauge should go all the way up or all the way down.
Now ground that 1 wire to the engine block.
Gauge should do the opposite, if it was all the way down it should go all the way up,or visa versa.

If that happens then wire and gauge are good, sender is not working.
If it doesn't then wire and gauge are the issue.

Last edited:

zonki00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks RonD , the sensor came with thread tape on it. i just removed it but still not working. i am now assuming i put the 2 wire sensor in the 1 wire sender spot. At the parts store i just asked for a coolant temp sensor...if they are different (even though same thread) which sensor should i be having them look up at the store?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The gauge unit is a sender, not a sensor, like an oil pressure sender, 1 wire
Most auto parts guys won't know the difference.

The 2 wire unit is called an ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor,
yes they are the same threads and look the same except for the 1 wire 2 wire hook up.

They often have tape on all the threads on the sensor because it doesn't need a ground.
The sender will only have tape on 1/2-3/4 of the threads, bottom threads will be bare because it does need a good ground to work.

zonki00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks alot RonD, seems to all make sense so ill be getting the sender tomorrow and testing it out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals