• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger Powertrain

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
So all the ecoboost is, is a turbocharged engine? Or is there more too it?

With my current situation I really don't need another 4WD, so just a basic model ranger would be fine with me, and in many cases would serve me all year unless we get another winter where we have 2 feet of snow on the ground for most of the winter LOL.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
EcoBoost is Ford's marketing name for any of their direct injected, DOHC, VVT, turbocharged engines. The 2.0 and 2.3L versions are based on the Duratec 4 cylinder that came in Rangers and most other Fords since the early 00s. The 4 cylinders that came in Rangers before 2001 have nothing in common with the Duratec or EcoBoost engines.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
EcoBoost is Ford's marketing name for any of their direct injected, DOHC, VVT, turbocharged engines. The 2.0 and 2.3L versions are based on the Duratec 4 cylinder that came in Rangers and most other Fords since the early 00s. The 4 cylinders that came in Rangers before 2001 have nothing in common with the Duratec or EcoBoost engines.
Ahh ok. Thanks for the insight.

I remember many saying when the Ranger first came out in 83 that the 4 cylinder engine in that thing didn't have enough power to get out of its own way LOL. I highly doubt with today's engines that will be a problem at all LOL.

Still would like to see the option at least for a V6, although I guess the 4 cylinders now have the power to do some light towing duties?

Not sure why it seems so odd to me to see all the 4 cylinder engines though. My 89 Mazda B2600i 4x4 pickup was a 4 cylinder, and seemed to have plenty of power, even in 4WD, wish I wouldn't have got rid of that truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Keep in mind in 1985 the 2.8 had "best in class power" with whopping 110 raging miniature ponies. Then figure out where the 2.3 and 2.0 would fit below that... they ain't gonna have much.

My brother has a Ecoboost F-150. The 3.5L twin turbo V6 is the top dog for towing engines in a F-150... and they are wicked. It would handily crush my 5.4 in a tow off, and I don't think my 5.4 is much of a slouch. And the EB will do it to a new 5.0 V8 too...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Hmm interesting. Should be interesting to see what happens in the near future. Course all this hype could just be nothing more than that. Until they roll them out on lots I'm not holding my breath.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Here is where I stand. I will believe it when I see one sitting on the local dealers lot. Until then, I am not concerned with 'what could be'.

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm interesting. Should be interesting to see what happens in the near future. Course all this hype could just be nothing more than that. Until they roll them out on lots I'm not holding my breath.
It's just going to be another mid-sized truck placed conveniently at the same price of a 3-year old fully-loaded diesel full size.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
It's just going to be another mid-sized truck placed conveniently at the same price of a 3-year old fully-loaded diesel full size.
LOL, and as usual way over-priced for no more than what it really is. Not sure how I really feel about a diesel option with the emissions stuff required on them now and the electrical controls they have on them. Really will be interesting to see how reliable they are once they hit the market. Don't plan on buying brand new, I'll wait a few years until the bugs are worked out, even then I'd just go used most likely I think. I've done the whole new vehicle route twice and I'd settle for a good used vehicle.

How much larger are these going to be? About the size of the Tacoma? Last global ranger I was around was in 2004-2005 and they weren't much larger than the rangers here in the US just had a true 4 door cab but only I think like a 4 or 5 foot bed, they were just about the right size that I'd want...hope the new ones aren't too much bigger. I love the little compact pickups to run around the hills in.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I think most will agree that because of US EPA requirements we probably won't see the same engine options here as those currently available in the global T6 Ranger.

The base engine will probably be a large displacement naturally aspirated 4 cylinder. Yawn.

I keep reading that a lot of people think the 2.3L EcoBoost will be the top of the line gas engine. I suppose that is possible especially considering that it should be competitive with the V6 non-turbo engines offered by the competition.

My guess is that while the 2.3L EB might be competitive with the naturally aspirated V6s it would be a gas hog in any moderately heavy towing or hauling situations and because I do some occasional towing my personal preference would be the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost.

While I don't think Ford has announced the power ratings for the 2nd gen 2.7 in the 2018 F-150, the current 2.7 puts out 325 hp and 375 lb ft. Even at those numbers that engine would far outclass anything offered by the competition which means Ford probably won't offer it. The 2nd gen 2.7 will be upgraded for 2018 to include both port and direct injection which should solve some of the carbon build-up issues on the backside of the intake valves as well as improve overall efficiency. The 2.7 engine block is also a very compact design but the twin turbos may present some packaging issues in the Ranger. The fact that Ford currently offers it in the the Edge and Fusion gives me some hope that it can be made to fit in the T6 Ranger. I assume the engine is transversely mounted in the Edge and Fusion so that is obviously not a direct comparison. However, both of those vehicles should be lighter than a 4x4 crewcab Ranger it's not like Ford would be creating some unprecedented, overpowered monster. The other issue might be production capacity. In other words, could Ford build enough 2.7s to meet demand?

As far as diesel engines go my guess is that Ford will use the same 3.2L 5 cylinder inline Power Stroke turbo diesel that is currently available in the US version of the Transit full-size van. A version of that engine is also currently used in the global T6 Ranger which means it already fits. They could also offer the 3.0L Lion V6 that is slated for the 2018 F-150 but unless that is somehow a much better choice why re-invent the wheel? I assume the V6 turbo diesel engine would have similar packaging issues as a V6 gas turbo.

My opinion is that an EcoBoost engine would be a better choice for my intended use than a diesel. I don't see any advantage with a diesel considering the higher initial cost, higher maintenance costs and higher fuel prices. Unless you are driving more than 25k miles per year and working the truck really hard a diesel makes little sense IMO. If that is what you need then you should probably be looking at a Super Duty F-series.

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
I'd like to see a naturally-aspirated V6 gas engine, but it may not happen. I'd probably need to get the automatic transmission so my wife could drive it if necessary. 4wd is a must for me. I'm really not interested in a diesel because of the up-front cost to buy it, plus costs to maintain the diesel. Otherwise I'd want an XLT supercab. Just keep the price down! That's my biggest request. If I need to pay anymore than $30-35k for a Ranger I might as well buy a '150 for just as much. If by the time I get ready to buy I realize I need more of a tow-vehicle, I'll buy the '150 again.:icon_confused: I don't expect a Ranger to be much of a tow-rig. I expect a Ranger to be a right-sized, reasonably economical, weekend warrior/daily driver. If you're frequently towing anything more than about 4000 lbs, get the bigger truck. An F-150 will tow that weight easier than a smaller truck will.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
In most of the markets where the current global Ranger is sold full-size trucks are not even available. For those markets a diesel option makes more sense in a Ranger sized truck since there are no better (full-size) options.

That also means all of the manufacturers have had to make their mid-size trucks for those markets pretty darn capable tow rigs. The current T6 Ranger has a max tow rating of 7716 lbs.

As long as Ford doesn't soften the Ranger suspension up too much for the North American market and offers the 3.2L Power Stroke diesel or a gas engine with some balls it should be able to handle a 7000 lb trailer. If they do soften it up for soccer moms they should also offer a towing package with a stiffer suspension.

Not everyone who needs to occasionally tow a small trailer or boat has room in their garage for and/or wants to drive a monster truck when they are not towing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In most of the markets where the current global Ranger is sold full-size trucks are not even available. For those markets a diesel option makes more sense in a Ranger sized truck since there are no better (full-size) options.

That also means all of the manufacturers have had to make their mid-size trucks for those markets pretty darn capable tow rigs. The current T6 Ranger has a max tow rating of 7716 lbs.

As long as Ford doesn't soften the Ranger suspension up too much for the North American market and offers the 3.2L Power Stroke diesel or a gas engine with some balls it should be able to handle a 7000 lb trailer. If they do soften it up for soccer moms they should also offer a towing package with a stiffer suspension.

Not everyone who needs to occasionally tow a small trailer or boat has room in their garage for and/or wants to drive a monster truck when they are not towing.
It will be hobbled so it doesn't compete too much with the F-150.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
It's crazy to think that you can buy a new Ford F-150 with a 2.7 Ecoboost V6 powering it. Especially when you think about the 2.8 V6 in the early Ranger. But then, the Ranger 2.8 didn't make 325 horsepower. The new Ranger would really haul with that engine.

I personally would like to see a Raptor Ranger with the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost under the hood. I have a 2016 Expedition with the 365 horsepower 3.5 Ecoboost, and it hauls ass. Plus, I get 20+ MPG with it! It still surprises me just how quick this thing is. The new Ranger would be a real beast with that motor.

Last edited:

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I would be OK with the 2.7EB, especially the 2nd gen version from the 2018 F-150. That thing puts out 400 lb ft of torque at only 2750 RPM now that they have combined multi-port fuel injection with direct injection. It also comes with the 10-speed auto in the F-150 which would be great to have in the Ranger as well.
Unfortunately, given Ford's habit of only offering just enough to be as good as or slightly better than their competition, I would not be surprised if the best gas engine option is the 2.3L EcoBoost in-line 4 from the Mustang and Focus RS. Even that engine would outclass anything GM or Yota currently offers in their mid-size trucks. A gas turbo V6 would probably be considered overkill except maybe in a special performance model (think Raptor).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I was to get one I would rather have a NA engine like the 3.7 or maybe the new 3.5.

Much less odds of eating a turbo down the road and that much less to go wrong. Still nice hp for what they are, my wife's '07 Edge with a 3.5 will downright move if you throw the reins to it.

It would still be a tough sell against a FDE 6-speed Taco though.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals