• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

annoying turn signal issue

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I have a 1990 Ford Ranger 2.9L V6 XLT

My indicators will not work, they randomly stopped working a few days ago along with the reverse lights.

I discovered the fuse had popped, so I replaced it. But now whenever I turn the truck on, it pops the fuse immediately....

I have had no issues that I can think of recently that would attribute to a wire getting cut and creating a short...

I was wondering if you guys know of any common issues with the muti-switch on the steering column or any other ideas before I start running my continuity tests?

I am an apprentice mechanic so feel free to discuss in a technical manner...

Cheers

Dave

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
additions

one note I would like to add is that my hazards do work, so any knowledge about where and how the two circuits split would be appreciated.

Cheers

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I had a very similar problem with my old '91 I had. turned out to be one of the license plate light sockets had rotted and shorted out. I cut both of them off and spliced new ones on and never had another problem after that! that was for the markers, however if your problems is with the turn signals, that would be an entirely different deal. I'll have to check a few things and get back to ya on those.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
There might be something else on the same circuit that is causing the fuse to blow. money that has fallen into the cig lighter and shorted it out is a favourite.

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
There might be something else on the same circuit that is causing the fuse to blow. money that has fallen into the cig lighter and shorted it out is a favourite.
haha, yeah, that happened to my friend before.

My cig lighter is actually disconnected, so I don't think it could be related to that, but I'll check the harness side of the plug anyways

Cheers

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
so I did some diagnosis today, and am starting to get really annoyed...
the indicators and back-up lamp worked this morning after I replaced the fuse to start my diagnosis.... they worked both with just the acc circuit on and also with the truck running. I checked all the connections I could see for corrosion and the likes and couldn't find anything... So I figured it was a fluke, the truck has 300000KM on it so I figured it could happen. So i went for a drive to test it, and all seemed great at the start, so I tried all I could to pop the fuse, flicking the multi-switch back and forth and so on so forth. I couldn't get the fuse to pop, so I figured it was fixed. However no more than 30 seconds later when I had stopped at a stop sign, they ceased to work. So I pulled over and replaced the fuse, now it pops instantly again...

any advice as it seems to be heat related which is going to make this a b**** to fix?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have a trailer connecter, that might be worth checking also.

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a thought, if its like my Bronco II, the cig lighter connectors are just spade connectors... Any chance they're touching intermittently, or one of them is grounding and shorting out with the cig lighter disconnected?

Just throwing out ideas... Thats easy enough to check!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've had numerous problems with the signals since I started driving my BII 11 years ago.

first, the trailer harness was acting up cause some of the wires were frayed and touching and i think my brake lights didnt work (dont really remember). i got a new harness rewired and it fixed the problem.

i had a few other minor problems with the bulbs, but those were easily fixed. i just cleaned out the goo crap that was in there and they worked.

bout a month ago, my right reverse light didnt work and i ended up having to replace the entire harness on that side. i went to a JY and got one for $25 and it works great now.

now, the actual turn signal switch is giving me problems (i think) sometimes it'll stick and the turn singal just stays on....no blinking and it only does it when i am turning right. i think the new harness may have solved it, but i'll have to keep an eye on it.

i also had a major problem with the headlights, a wire was frayed there and it was draining my battery and causing the lights to flicker while driving.

i dont mean to insult your intelligence, but is it the right fuse?

i dont know if i helped you with my rambling here, but maybe it'll give you some ideas you havent thought of yet. good luck

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What about a bad switch? Have you checked that yet?

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you have a trailer connecter, that might be worth checking also.
yeah, the trailer wiring harness was a rats nest, so I fully re-did that as a lot of connections were botched, and some wires were chafed, so I re soldered the connections and heat shrink on all open wiring, so that should be fine but did not fix the issue unfortunately. Though I think I might fully cut it out as I don't really tow much anyways

What about a bad switch? Have you checked that yet?

Was thinking about the switch, I'll check that this weekend when I get back to working on it. My only issue with that is that it is a bitch to get the top cover off the steering column as it seems like I have to take off the steering wheel to get it off....

i've had numerous problems with the signals since I started driving my BII 11 years ago.

first, the trailer harness was acting up cause some of the wires were frayed and touching and i think my brake lights didnt work (dont really remember). i got a new harness rewired and it fixed the problem.

i had a few other minor problems with the bulbs, but those were easily fixed. i just cleaned out the goo crap that was in there and they worked.

bout a month ago, my right reverse light didnt work and i ended up having to replace the entire harness on that side. i went to a JY and got one for $25 and it works great now.

now, the actual turn signal switch is giving me problems (i think) sometimes it'll stick and the turn singal just stays on....no blinking and it only does it when i am turning right. i think the new harness may have solved it, but i'll have to keep an eye on it.

i also had a major problem with the headlights, a wire was frayed there and it was draining my battery and causing the lights to flicker while driving.

i dont mean to insult your intelligence, but is it the right fuse?

i dont know if i helped you with my rambling here, but maybe it'll give you some ideas you havent thought of yet. good luck

It is the right fuse, I checked it when it was working to double check as I do not trust the hanes books at all...
Yeah, I had another guy suggest the Dielectric Grease in the bulb sockets which I will check this weekend.

Just a thought, if its like my Bronco II, the cig lighter connectors are just spade connectors... Any chance they're touching intermittently, or one of them is grounding and shorting out with the cig lighter disconnected?

Just throwing out ideas... Thats easy enough to check!

I will check the cigarette lighter connections, cheers

Thank you all for your input, I will put it into practice this weekend when I get back to diagnosis.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
This weekends actions:

the trailer harness is now removed removed.
fully removing the comboswitch
fully cleaned and repacked the bulb sockets with black silicone
checked cigarette lighter wiring, it is fine
changed all the light bulbs

despite all actions, I still pop the fuse after about a min of driving

any other advice would be appreciated

Cheers

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
does the fuse only control the turn signals/hazards/reverse lights? if that is the case, rip the dash open and follow all the wires that go to the turn signal switch, something's gotta be frayed and touching up in there. like i said before, i had some wires touching that were connected to my headlight switch and were causing the lights to not work.

clayhilldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have had the same problem with my '89 Ranger. My brother, who is a Ford mechanic, started looking into it for me one day and removed the steering column cover to get to the switch and said it looked like a wire had pulled loose from the wiring harness. He thought repetitive use of the tilt steering had caused it to come loose. But thats as far as we got...he told me to bring it back and he'd try to fix it, but I never have.

Optimaldave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Fixed the issue this weekend, the wire running to my rearlamp switch seems to have been routed poorly, and was resting on the exhaust pipe, such is why it was a heat related issue.

Thank You all for your help

Cheers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals