• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89+ heads on an older block (2.9)

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty sure this is the case, but I couldn't find a definite answer in my searches...

Will the revised (89TM?) later heads fit up to an earlier block and lower intake?

I read that the valve covers are slightly different.

I have an '87 with a cracked head. There are 3 Rangers/Broncoiis at the local junkyard, and two of them are 89+ (I realize that even some 89's had the early heads, so I'm assuming they'll interchange).

Don't want to go through all the effort to pull a head in the cold and snow only to come home and find it won't bolt up...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will be good to go. Just get the valve covers too.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys!

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Back from the junkyard.

Only one of the three Rangers had a 2.9. It was an 89 iirc.

The heads have the square rocker pedestals, so I think they're the revised ones.

I was fortunate that someone had taken the whole intake off already - only had to pull the alternator and brackets and the exhaust manifold.

I ended up breaking 5 of the 6 exhaust manifold bolts, but enough is sticking out that I think I can still get them out without drilling and tapping if I use a little heat.

Was tempted to grab the other side, but the exhaust bolt heads were so rusted they just rounded off (curious that it's the same on mine - passenger side is easy to get off, drivers side is significantly more rusty), and since I didn't really need it, I left it for now. Plus the valve cover was missing on that side and I'll need that. Mostly, though, I was freezing.

Also picked up an oil dipstick (mine was rusted into almost nothing) and a brake reservoir (mine's oddly chalky and deteriorated).

Have a lot of work to do before putting it together, but Summit has the head gasket kit and bolts in stock and they're local to me, so I can pick them up whenever I'm ready.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Following up...

I finished putting the engine together last night.

I got the replacement head, then disassembled, cleaned and reassembled both heads.

I ended up leaving the block in the chassis. I wanted to pull it and go over it since the heads were out, but I don't have the room to do that inside and it's too cold. Figured I could get it to limp to spring if I had to.

So, with the plugs out of it and a new oil pressure gauge installed, I hooked up the battery last night and cranked the starter. After a few tries, I got 40psi at 1500RPM. The manual specs 40-50psi at 2000RPM. I assume the reading in the manual should be at running temp.

I'm running 5w30 oil right now, and it's pretty cold in the garage, so I expect the oil pressure to be a little bit low, but possibly still within the spec when the engine warms up. If not, I may try a heavier weight oil to get the pressure up a bit.

I'm going to attempt to start it tonight for the first time in a few months.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals