• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR repair

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I finally got the driver side head off.

Had to cut the y-pipe (I have a replacement) and take the head off with the exhaust manifold still attached - the bolts are so rusted that they're basically rounded - going to have to cut them off and then try to extract the studs from the head.

Anyhow, the EGR tube is in decent condition, but it fell off the manifold. The reducer plug that fits into the manifold is rusted to the point that it's not usable.

Assuming I can even get the plug out, is it available from the dealer? Any way I can find the part number?

Is there a standard pipe plug that would work?

The threads on the EGR tube look decent. There's just nothing left to thread them into.

I've been reading on the board and it seems removing the EGR system isn't an option without getting another ECM, which I'd rather not do at this point unless there's no other option.

This is my first Ford, so I don't know where to look for factory parts yet. Any online catalogs I should look at?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Which engine?

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I took another look at this last night.

The EGR tube where it mates to the manifold had rusted away.

The PO took a brass fitting and put it into the egr tube, retaining it with a hose clamp, then apparently threaded it into what was left of the old EGR flare nut in the manifold.

I tried to get the reducers out of the manifold, but they're rusted solid.

I may have to do a variation on what the PO did. If I can find a flare or compression fitting that will fit the EGR tube, then I can probably tap the reducers in the manifold with a pipe tap and get a small section of pipe and some fittings to connect it onto the shortened EGR tube.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Many use soft copper tubing(you can bend it easier) to replace an EGR tube, I know your EGR tube is OK just looking at from the point of view of what would be easier to find fittings for.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Many use soft copper tubing(you can bend it easier) to replace an EGR tube, I know your EGR tube is OK just looking at from the point of view of what would be easier to find fittings for.
Do they just flare the copper and reuse the flare nut at the intake?

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found a 5/8 pipe OD brass compression fitting at Home Depot that fits the tube nicely. Cut off the rotted end and it looks like it will work.

Unfortunately, the other end of the fitting is 3/4 pipe thread, so I had to get a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter, and then put a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter onto that.

The plan is to cut the old rusted nut off the manifold and then drill and tap the remaining bung for 3/8 pipe. Once I have the engine back together and can tell where the EGR tube lines up, I can pickup the right size nipple to go between the manifold and the collection of fittings at the end of the EGR pipe, put it all together, and then tighten the compression fitting.

The rest of the EGR tube looks pretty solid, but I suspect down the road I may have to replace the whole thing with copper. But I'd have to buy a whole roll of copper tubing and I only need about a foot of it, and then it has to be fitted and flared - for now it's cheaper and easier to use what I can of the old tube.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a follow up...

Finally got the engine back together enough for the EGR tube install.

Ended up using two 5/8 brass compression fittings from Home Depot and about 6" of 1/2" copper tubing. The copper is 1/2" I.D. and it mates perfectly with the compression fitting - the copper must be 5/8 OD.

I cut the steel EGR tube under the PS bracket, right after it goes horizontal and put a double-sided compression fitting there to joint the steel tube to the copper tube. On the manifold, I put a small 3/8 pipe nipple in the hole I tapped in the bung, then used a 3/8-1/2 adapter to fit to a compression fitting that had a 1/2 FIP on the other end.

Once those were installed, I eyeballed the transition. Ended up bending the copper in a shallow S to get the two to line up. Tightening the compression fitting under the exhaust manifold was a PITA, but it's on there now.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals