• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No rear brake/turn signal on left side

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
alright here it goes i have a 1984 ranger with a 89 2.9v6... i have no left rear brake/turn light... running lights work... fuses good... bulbs are good... i even used a jumper wire from the front turn signal to the rear so i would have one ... any ideas would be great

Last edited:

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Socket could be bad.

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i changed it also ... i was thinking connection too... then i read somewhere about the turn signal switch in the stearing column

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
I suggest that you open up the cowling on the steering column and start with a little plastic friendly contact cleaner in the switch itself. Check the plug for loose/burnt wires, clean and grease the connections.
Check switch operations and use your multimeter to check the circuits starting at the switch.

Be aware that the multi switch takes a little dielectric grease inside to make it work smoothly, that grease will gather crud over time or get hard or chalky.
I have one that has set and is starting to act up again from dust bunnies and crud in it. Seems I have fiddled with this switch periodically since I have owned the truck.

Good luck
Rich

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the reply .. ill check the switch in the column and go from there... i have another question ... have you ever experienced or heard of a fuel pressure regulator taping... my intake manifold was leaking and i replaced the gasket and now i can hear my fpr making a taping sound.. i used the old screwdriver to the ear technique and its definatly coming from the fpr

BAYNE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for your help ... i traced all the wires checking continuity to it and it ended up being a really dirty connector plug coming off the wiring harness in the engine bay... should have checked this first, kinda feel stupid...but atleast its fixed

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey... we ALL have moments.... Just WHY do I have more then most people.....

Greg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals