• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 B2 won't start in weather <45 degrees

AOMills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've researched a few websites / threads on the problem but none of them give an solid answer. I've seen the same problems and symptoms, but no solutions.

Here's what's happening, when I try to start my 2.9 cold, on mornings when the temp is roughly 45 degrees or below, the truck won't start because the fuel pump does not receive power. The engine turns all day long, but doesn't start. I've pulled out my test light & mutilmeter to confirm it that it isn't getting any voltage. The fuel pump runs fine when everything's cold as well because I've hooked it straight to the battery and it's happy as can be.

After the temps rise during the morning, the trucks starts and drives fine. If the engine is warm and the temps drop, it starts and drives fine.

So, what is keeping the fuel pump from getting power?
- I've changed replaced the map sensor with a new unit
- Checked resistance across the coolant temperature sensor (the two wire one) and it changes when held over a heat source
- Checked resistance across the intake air temp sensor and it changes when held over a heat source
- Cleaned out the vacuum hose between in intake manifold and the map sensor
- Added HEET to the fuel supply on my last two fill ups

I don't really know what else is temperature sensitive under the hood. I do know there is another air sensor on the airbox itself but that reads something manually via vacuums and pressures. Does it talk to the ECM/ECU somehow?

Any help / ideas / leads will be appreciated.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Sounds pretty dumb but I've read of this issue in areas where it gets pretty cold with people who own Polaris Rangers where the fuel pumps in them won't run when cold either. The issue is the fuel pump relay gets cold and doesn't function properly.

I'd take the fuel pump relay out and run down and get a replacement, see if that works. Take your current relay out and put it in the house and warm it up and see if it works.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The thing on the air box won't affect starting. IIRC its' for the air diverter. The 2.9 (and maybe other engines) have the ram unit that comes up behind the grille, but they also have an auxiliary duct that pulls air from near the exhaust manifold when cold, to help get up to temp faster.

I deleted mine a few years ago when I went to headers instead of the factory manifolds, it didn't do anything to cold starting.

The closest thing to your situation that I have ever seen was an 87 F-150 I worked on two Februaries ago. It would start and run great most of the time. Once the temp hit 32 it wouldn't start, and when you finally got it going it would spit and sputter and carry on and run terrible until the fuel pumps caught up.

What I found was the previous owner had wired up the fuel pumps into the turn signals with a fuse tap. Powered all the time with the key in run, but no power at all in start, so when the rail emptied you were out of fuel.

The thing that gets me about that one is why they did that in the first place. I wired the pumps back into the relay like they should have been and it worked fine.

Anyway, check your pump wiring. Someone may have done something stupid with it.

AOMills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Alright wildbill, I'm going to pull the relay now and stick it under my pillow tonight. I think I may have seen something about the relay's being temperamental on another site too.

Thanks for the info on the air box sensor adsm08. I didn't really know what to make of it. And I have had to fix shoddy work on this truck before so I'll take a look at the wiring this weekend.

AOMills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It looks like it was the fuel pump relay. I haven't replaced it but I took my current one in the house with me last night and the night before. The truck fired right up in the morning after plugging it in. I never would have guessed it. Thanks guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals