• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5od-r1 rebuild shaft doesn't spin freely

jessefilson94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just rebuilt my tranny with an overhaul kit and put new hubs/sliders in. After downloading the bench manual for this trans from trs I got to torquing down the front and rear bearing retainer plates and after that I could force the shaft to turn but it was by no means spinning freely.

I am positive that in this state, the shaft spinning will create heat from friction and maybe ruin the bearings......?

All bearings and races went on correctly.

I am thinking the shims might be pressed to tightly to the bearings.

Am I way out of tolerance to the point where I should reuse the old shims if they work?

Or

Should I leave it the way it is?

This is my first tranny rebuild so if any guys with experience with these could give me advice that would be greatly appreciated!

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
You will have to set the end play by the steps listed in the manual. The shaft should turn by hand. Double check the assembly of the main shaft for improper orientation of pieces. Good luck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ordered the shim kit, checked everything out and ended up using the stock shim.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Did you use new bearings on everything or are you reusing your old ones?

I ran into the exact same thing with mine, with new bearings. There is an order of assembly and it seems to me that the countershaft had to be tapped into position with the trans tipped up, bellhousing up. I could not find a small enough shim for the new front countershaft bearing.

What ended up happening was that the bearing was out of spec and too thick. Rather than machine it down and hope for the best or machine a shim, I reused the old bearing and shim and all is well - this may not work for you if your bearing is junk but I would sure check #1 your order of assembly is correct and #2 that your bearings are within spec.

FWIW the bearing by itself is over $75 and the complete rebuild kit I got on eBay was around $100 shipped IIRC. It's ridiculous and that's why I didn't replace it.

jessefilson94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its been a few weeks spent trying to find a shim kit for the main shaft bearing and I had to order 0.1mm shim from McMaster-Carr for the countershaft shims. After following Ford's specs from the manual I am still not getting it to spin freely...

A) 3.05 B) 7.0 C) 1 D) 2.45

-52mm OD Counter Shaft shim 2.8mm with 0.1mm shims McMaster Carr

79.7mm OD Main/Input Shaft 2.8mm with shim kit from ALLSTATE Gear

*B-[A+t]=0.05-0.15

7-[3.05+t]=0

7-3.05=3.95

t=3.95

3.8-3.9

Tf=3.85mm shim

*C+[D-t]=0.15-0.25

1+[2.45-t]=0

1+2.45=3.45

t=3.45

3.2-3.3

Tf=3.2mm shim

I am obviously doing this wrong
����

@Shran I used new bearing& races new synchros hubs sliders etc.. from a kit i got on ebay

Did a proper rebuild with pictures and commentation.

I'll try and knock the input shaft around a bit if that's the trick to it but, I can't tell which shaft is the hold up.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
When I was putting mine back together, I didn't line the "tab" up correctly on the thrust bearing (part number 7C096) that goes in between the input and main shafts. The tab wasn't in the right spot and so when I snugged down the bearing caps the entire assembly wouldn't spin freely at all. I had to remove the input shaft and rotate that thrust bearing to get it lined up correctly. I reused my old shims as well.

Last edited:

jessefilson94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ookaaay, despite my mild efforts to approach this correctly according to ford specs, getting this back together was even more blunt. I needed more room than was calculated....

Darn quantum physics....

I ended up starting at the calculated width and torquing the plated removing a shim each time.

I ended up with 2.8mm for the countershaft shim which was the original shim width...
Go figure..
And 3.75mm for the main shaft shim.

This was by no means due to an error in my measurements nor was it in my calculations but most likely a subtle variation in particle speed and beta particle radia....
Nvm!

Anyway the eqatuions didn't work out for me not saying they won't for anybody else.

However it was a smart thing to order the shim kits with 0.1mm and 0.2mm shims along with some other e8tz ford shims.. Got it figyawed OUT...!

Thank you guys for the quick feed back btw.. much appreciated

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the update.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals