• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Won't stay running

Jiles92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so my 97 2.3l 5spd sat for about 4 or 5 months after I got it back it will start and almost immediately stall out unless I stay on the gas I changed the air intake control valve that didn't help so I took it today and got it put on the tester and got a code for mass air flow sensor an oxygen sensor and p1443 anyone else have this problem cause i need help

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Unplug the maf sensor it should go into limp mode and stay running. Plug it back in afterwards and tap on it with a screwdriver to see if it affects the engine. Look for visible cracks on it also.moisture can get in and cause them to fail. Try cleaning the mat sensor also with some throttle body cleaner. I'm guessing you are talking about the idle air control valve you replaced.

Jiles92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just tried it and still no change it starts then dies unless I stay on the gas

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Have you sprayed carb cleaner all around your intake and vacuum lines to check for leaks. Put something on the gas pedal just to keep it running and spray to find vacuum leaks

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
How much old watery gas is left in the tank? Throw in a can of dry gas and at least 5 gallons of gas. Charge the battery. Not so much as a fix, but to eliminate potential troubles. Also there have been posts about rusted out filler necks watering gas. When I had the tank out of the Rat, I repaired rusted holes with JBWeld and the split connector with goop and hose clamps. Other guys just buy new parts. Doesn't do F all, OK. Next would be getting some cleaner and do some gentle cleaning to electronic stuff. De-Oxit makes a contact cleaner, I use on relay blades and sockets. You got an old Ford, they don't age well. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals