• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do I test ball joints, and if they're bad, how bad are they?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shran and 91ranger. Calm down guys. No need to get heated over the internet. Both of you take a breather before this gets out of hand. Thank you.

To the op. A loose caliper shouldn’t make the wheel move around. That will make more of a knocking sounding when applying the brakes. Find yourself a good, old school mom and pop mechanic shop. And go in and explain you’ve noticed some play in the wheel. And want them to check it out.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Take it to your local frame and axle and get a free safety check. By law they have to tell you what it needs. I put the parts in and take it there for a good alignment as a courtesy. They are normally more expensive but well worth the dime.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
it's whatever to me now. I just get pissed when someone tells me what to do or not to do in this matter. Without pictures showing the condition of the parts in question or a video showing the play, no one has the right to tell someone what to do with their car. After I just replaced tie rods the other day I do think 5 mm is a fair amount of play once I watched my own vehicle tire move and feel it. Money is a big factor to most people. Labor is another factor. The OP doesn't seem like he could replace his own parts plus anytime you replace a steering part you should get an alignment which is more money. So when someone says "oh that part is only $20, buy it an put it on" its normally way more than just $20. but I'm over it now. it is what it is.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Took it to a shop and got second opinion and they said it was actually a lousy caliper on that wheel that was allowing for the slight play. One of the ujoint boots is torn, but otherwise everything else looked fine.

But I'm going to do the wheel bearings while I'm in there anyway.
Well that's all very interesting since it is complete and utter bullshit. Brake calipers don't allow or disallow wheel play, that is all tie rod, ball joint, or wheel bearing, and U-joints (true U joints, not a CV joint) don't have boots.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ agreed.
I have a loose caliper on my Grumman. It makes banging noises going over bumps. It does NOT AFFECT MY STEERING.

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well that's all very interesting since it is complete and utter bullshit. Brake calipers don't allow or disallow wheel play, that is all tie rod, ball joint, or wheel bearing, and U-joints (true U joints, not a CV joint) don't have boots.
great... :annoyed:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
You are learning much on this forum grasshopper. Keep with the questions. :icon_hornsup:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This post needs pictures and more information on the vehicle. Sounds like someone's giving him a run around and hoping they drop cash at their shop.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Shran Calm down
I'm as calm and collected as I was when I wrote both posts in this thread. No need to worry about me getting heated, I do know when to quit, but I also will call things as I see them and made myself clear here.

it's whatever to me now. I just get pissed when someone tells me what to do or not to do in this matter. Without pictures showing the condition of the parts in question or a video showing the play, no one has the right to tell someone what to do with their car. After I just replaced tie rods the other day I do think 5 mm is a fair amount of play once I watched my own vehicle tire move and feel it. Money is a big factor to most people. Labor is another factor. The OP doesn't seem like he could replace his own parts plus anytime you replace a steering part you should get an alignment which is more money. So when someone says "oh that part is only $20, buy it an put it on" its normally way more than just $20. but I'm over it now. it is what it is.
There is no reason to get pissed. I could be making other snide comments about what you've said but I'm not - just keep an open mind to the possibility that you might be wrong. It is part of the learning process and I've been wrong a few dozen times over the years too, however I am speaking from experience owning, driving, wrenching on and modifying at least 30 of these trucks over 15 years.

I do not feel that you need an alignment after replacing ball joints because you are simply returning the front end to its pre-worn condition UNLESS you move the camber bushings. TREs, springs, absolutely, align away.

I did in fact verify that those ball joints were less than $20, by the way.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I understand shran. Just didn’t wanna see the post getting out of hand. Nothing personal my friend

beech2000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got new tires today and they let me rock the wheels while it was jacked up. Passenger wheel didn't budge, driver wheel had very slight left-right play. Like, a fraction of a centimeter, but it still moved. I'm assuming something needs to be replaced- ball joints? How do I tell how bad it is? Like, do it tomorrow and not drive on it until then? Do it within the month and drive carefully?

I found my sons ball joints wore out during steering rack change out. Made a video as well.

https://youtu.be/xHQMzA-1jQE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals