• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Keep breaking motor mount bolts in the block of 5.0L Explorer

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
One of several issues with my 5.0L Explorer is when I got it it was missing both bolts into the block for the engine mount on the passenger side... stock bolts were broke off flush with the block and was sitting that way for who knows how long... in the process of removing them since it's pretty tight in there I wasn't as centered as I'd hoped and took out some of the threads so had to up size to 1/2" bolts from 7/16"... I fixed that 20k miles ago, the planetary gears in the trans let go a month ago and while underneath I noticed a missing bolt again and it's broken... When I was putting the transmission back in it was 90F before noon so I wasn't going to tackle that issue in the heat...

I can get the bolt out, that isn't the issue, it's how to fix it so it doesn't happen again... I imagine the issue is the stock bolts were broken for long enough to wear down the block at the engine mount I think, causing the leverage of the mount plate to be extreme since the rubber mount bolt is around 3" or so past the block...

I'm pondering a fix but want other opinions... From what I remember there isn't much over there to add extra bolts to. I'm thinking of welding some parts to the motor mount plate and add another attachment point to reduce the leverage. I'll probably poke around this weekend to see if I can think of something. My only other idea is instead of a flat plate, add a vertical plate perpendicular to meet with the square part of the block.

Ok, I'll stop before I get more long winded... the Whisky might be talking some... :) But seriously, any ideas are appreciated, this is the least power and abuse this thing will be getting for the rest of it's life... heck, I haven't even been using low range much to put much torque on the mount!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Summation, less whisky tonight...

Breaking passenger side engine mount bolts, block side. Most likely from lots of driving with broken bolts from previous owner (who knows what they did, definitely not mechanics) and wearing down the block increasing the leverage. Anyone have any ideas on increasing the strength of the mount to the block with an extra bracket welded and bolted to another location? Think a grade 8 1/2" bolt would work longer than a grade 5 1/2" bolt?

When the stock front axle goes away, I'll switch to a mount with less leverage, but still interested in ideas...

Thanks,
Scott

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i usually stud the block. glue em in with red.

depending on what fead your running usually run chains too for back up...not loaded...but long bolt with nylock and washer where there is just some perceptable slack in the chain. people think its ghetto but its effective doing w.o.t. slam fests in low range and using parts store anchor mounts. for a long time i run high tension valve spring too....

the mark 7 mounts are pretty stout though compared to f150 mounts and spacers....assuming your running a factory k member.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
BB Ford Torino, I run my chain just snug. From the head down to the frame.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
i usually stud the block. glue em in with red.

depending on what fead your running usually run chains too for back up...not loaded...but long bolt with nylock and washer where there is just some perceptable slack in the chain. people think its ghetto but its effective doing w.o.t. slam fests in low range and using parts store anchor mounts. for a long time i run high tension valve spring too....

the mark 7 mounts are pretty stout though compared to f150 mounts and spacers....assuming your running a factory k member.
How the heak do you get the engine down onto the mounts with studs sticking out!?! Or do you put the studs in after the block is seated to the mounts?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
How the heak do you get the engine down onto the mounts with studs sticking out!?! Or do you put the studs in after the block is seated to the mounts?
Very carefully. I used studs on the engines in my 89 Ranger swap. It's a lot easier to align studs into the mount holes than trying to get bolts started from underneath the truck.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I don't use grade 5 for anything. I have been using grade 8 for years and they are tough. I have seen them worn to half size and still holding.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, I'll try grade 8 first... I just always have a fear of those breaking off and being like the stock studs and not turning out... I don't want to put some red loctite in there yet, once I get a mount that's closer to the block I'll go that route... There's not a whole lot of room to deal with the motor mount bolts on a SLA V8 Explorer at stock height with everything there, when I got the originals out I had a 90* air drill, safety glasses and safety squints engaged while on a creeper trying my darndest to keep things straight and just had enough room... still had to tap to 1/2"...

Ok, if you guys have good luck with grade 8, I'll start there, I just haven't used them much, we use grade 5 for silly things at work and it always works...

Bobby, stock everything in this Explorer so far except the 4406 swapped in, next year most likely will be on super duty axles and somewhere around 40" tires... sometime hopefully it will become a 347, the 4R70W should hold up to it at this point as it has been gone through...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Straight down.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok, if you guys have good luck with grade 8, I'll start there, I just haven't used them much, we use grade 5 for silly things at work and it always works...
You can't trust anything in grade 5 now-a-days. The armrest stop bolt in the seat in the Mack truck I drive snapped off the other day just by my leaning on the rest climbing out of the sleeper. And this was a 7/16" bolt. When in doubt, use a grade 8 or 9 bolt.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Replaced both bolts today...

Apparently I didn't tap both bolts the first time to 1/2", the front bolt was still 7/16" which was unfortunate because I bought two 1/2" bolts the first time around, things went "twang" and lost one of the two bolts, went to the hardware store and grabbed another 1/2"x1" bolt (2 this time), go to put it in (now raining) and realize that bolt is 7/16", drive the 15 miles BACK to town, get 6 7/16 grade 8 bolts (don't have 7/16" on hand of any grade) and now it's together...

I might have had the bolts too long last time, the one bolt was broken (the 7/16" bolt) and the other (1/2" bolt) was bent, the pad for the rear bolt (1/2") is worn down at an angle from the previous break and isn't helping anything.

Anyway, fixed for now, we'll see how that goes, found the front exhaust manifold bolt was not even finger tight and has been leaking so I tightened that while I was there...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just an update, so far so good with the new bolts. Looks like issue solved, must have been off on my bolt lengths before...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals