• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I need a new heater core?

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright I have a 96 ranger 2.3l thats got almost 200k miles on her. I've only had it about 6 months and it never seemed to defrost well. I just wrote it off to the fact that it doesn't have A/C so it takes longer. I can smell antifreeze in the cab but I know I have a coolant leak on the lower rad hose so I thought that was why. Now today I started to see smoke from under the hood, so after a short investigation I find coolant dripping from a tube that comes out of the fire wall just below and to the right of the coolant lines going into the heater core. I have no leaks inside the truck but I do have alot of moisture that forms on the windows when it sits and the windows fog pretty good when I kick on the defrost. I'm thinking it's the heater core but I heard it is a real PITA to change so I thought I would ask on here first. :dunno:

schmoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83 2.8 ranger
Make / Model
84 2.3 4x4 rang
Transmission
Manual
my 83 was like that- it was easy to change, unhook
hoses, take three screws out on the cover inside,
and it falls out in your hand. don't wait- it is not
healthy to breathe antifreeze.

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what I have read on here it is not that simple on the 95+. We have to remove the whole dash to get to ours. Also antifreeze can be all that bad, it has a nice sweet smell that covers up the smell of the cigarette's. :icon_thumby:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
in all seriousness you don't want to be breathing in coolant fumes. +1 on 95 and after being a pita to change........is there a chance that the hose is leaking at the firewall and causing this issue. have you tried to tighten the clamp where the drip is?

fili450r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
in all seriousness you don't want to be breathing in coolant fumes. +1 on 95 and after being a pita to change........is there a chance that the hose is leaking at the firewall and causing this issue. have you tried to tighten the clamp where the drip is?
x2....check all other solutions before taking your dash out....mine is lucky enough to be the old easy way, but it is not fun, i did it on a 98 exploder.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Even inhaled Ethylene Glycol can cause liver damage.

IF you smell coolant...

As for it draining out that little pipe? that little pipe is there to prevent
it from draining inside thecab.

AD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright I have a 96 ranger 2.3l thats got almost 200k miles on her. I've only had it about 6 months and it never seemed to defrost well. I just wrote it off to the fact that it doesn't have A/C so it takes longer. I can smell antifreeze in the cab but I know I have a coolant leak on the lower rad hose so I thought that was why. Now today I started to see smoke from under the hood, so after a short investigation I find coolant dripping from a tube that comes out of the fire wall just below and to the right of the coolant lines going into the heater core. I have no leaks inside the truck but I do have alot of moisture that forms on the windows when it sits and the windows fog pretty good when I kick on the defrost. I'm thinking it's the heater core but I heard it is a real PITA to change so I thought I would ask on here first. :dunno:
so after a short investigation I find coolant dripping from a tube that comes out of the fire wall just below and to the right of the coolant lines going into the heater core.
that is the heater core drain tube to keep the cooland out of the cab check under the dash it ma be easy as 5 screws to drop the cover and udo the hoses then pull back the core and down its out put back just the oppisite i just did 1 of them this year on different year and make rbv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so after a short investigation I find coolant dripping from a tube that comes out of the fire wall just below and to the right of the coolant lines going into the heater core.
that is the heater core drain tube to keep the cooland out of the cab check under the dash it ma be easy as 5 screws to drop the cover and udo the hoses then pull back the core and down its out put back just the oppisite i just did 1 of them this year on different year and make rbv

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks all, :icon_thumby: I thought that the tube may have been a drain but I wasn't sure. Guess thats why I haven't been getting and antifreeze in the passenger floor. Now just a question of tearing the dash out and replacing the core.:annoyed:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
95+ you have to pull the dash. I think the ford dealers alocate 5 hours plus parts

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Jeez, guess this won't be a week night in the driveway type of job :shok:

Changing out an evaporator coil in a Ranger is easy.......changing a heater core is a major P.I.A. I doubt if it's a 5 hour job, but it's a tough job for a rookie.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Jeez, guess this won't be a week night in the driveway type of job :shok:
Maybe... Never changed the heater core on a 95+ Ranger, but I have in my Mustang which required the dash and the center console to come out. Really need to watch for vacuum lines. Took me 8 hours from start to finish, but I take my time and sometimes can be slow (I am not a professional). It was not easy, but I could do it in a lot less time since I've done it before.

It really helps to have a guide, like a shop manual, it's really frustrating to get stuck on this. And also place all screws/bolts with the components you remove and marking the screws so you know exactly where they went.

Pete

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_thumby::D PITA...good luck buddy!

what you describe sounds exactly what happened to mine..def a heater core.

There is a sticky in this section..check it out. I did it on my 95..took 12 hours (beers were involved; not recommended when you have to remember where all those damn vac lines and bolts go haha). I recommend having a buddy over to help as well. He/she can help you calm down when you chuck your wrenches everywhere and lift the damn dash out. Also, i used a camera to take pics of where things went, an labelled groups of bolts/screws. Its also cool to look back an see what the truck looks like without a dash haha!

once again, good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals