• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbocharging Ford V-6's - Info Wanted

4x4player

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
About 1.5" in front and 2" rear
Tire Size
29x10.5x15
My credo
He who travels faster, travels alone.
Does anybody know of another EEC IV brain (60 pin, I think) that is programmed for boost?
I understand some of the UK versions of the Cologne engine had a turbo.
The Cosworth 2.9L V6 (BOA) 4x4 version is an interesting monster. Some of the 4cyl
versions of the 4x4 were pressurized. However, finding info on this stuff is difficult.

4x4player

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
About 1.5" in front and 2" rear
Tire Size
29x10.5x15
My credo
He who travels faster, travels alone.
The OEM application was a huge waterpump designed to drain ponds. It was pressed into service to fight in a wildfire and ended up getting burned when the flames changed direction. The turbo and most of the engine survived. It had a separate wastegate set-up that I didn't get or a chance to study. The pump belonged to a friend who owned an equipment rental company and he let me snag the turbo before the insurance company hauled it off.
Anyway, I figured the turbo might work on my Ranger because the two engines were about the same size. Also, getting a clean turbo for free was the best part.
I bought a few good turbo books and did a bunch of research online. Heck, I watched about all the videos on YouTube about turbos.
However, nobody seems interested in putting a single, twin screw turbo on a V6.
But then again I never seem to do anything the easy way. I started this project years ago. (that's why no thread) When I finish it I'll post all about it.
The twin screws are not really twins, they are slightly different. Putting the wastegate between the pipes creates a crossover tube and takes away some of the purpose of the twin scroll. A crossover pipe in a pressurized system wouldn't act like the crossover pipe in a typical dual exhaust system where it is only exhaust pulses in the tube.
I'm thinking, I'm over thinking it.
Dual exhaust into a single pipe which feeds both scrolls of the turbo with a single external wastegate is the simple solution and the least expensive route.
Getting the EEC to accept it will be a different matter.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The OEM application was a huge waterpump designed to drain ponds. It was pressed into service to fight in a wildfire and ended up getting burned when the flames changed direction. The turbo and most of the engine survived. It had a separate wastegate set-up that I didn't get or a chance to study. The pump belonged to a friend who owned an equipment rental company and he let me snag the turbo before the insurance company hauled it off.
Anyway, I figured the turbo might work on my Ranger because the two engines were about the same size. Also, getting a clean turbo for free was the best part.
I bought a few good turbo books and did a bunch of research online. Heck, I watched about all the videos on YouTube about turbos.
However, nobody seems interested in putting a single, twin screw turbo on a V6.
But then again I never seem to do anything the easy way. I started this project years ago. (that's why no thread) When I finish it I'll post all about it.
The twin screws are not really twins, they are slightly different. Putting the wastegate between the pipes creates a crossover tube and takes away some of the purpose of the twin scroll. A crossover pipe in a pressurized system wouldn't act like the crossover pipe in a typical dual exhaust system where it is only exhaust pulses in the tube.
I'm thinking, I'm over thinking it.
Dual exhaust into a single pipe which feeds both scrolls of the turbo with a single external wastegate is the simple solution and the least expensive route.
Getting the EEC to accept it will be a different matter.
I guarantee if you find an EECIV for boost it will not be tuned correctly for your application. Tweecer Tuners work best for the earlier EECIV's. If your particular EEC is not supported, you can likely find an EEC that is. What you need to look at is the Catch Code to see if the tuning strategy the EEC uses is supported by Tweecer. ( I also see used unit all the time on Corral.net at half the price.)

Please go to http://www.tweecer.com/ccode/

Scroll down to see where you find the EEC Catch Code and input it. If it is not currently supported you might get another EEC that is, or let him know what your project is and see if he will break-out the strategy. These guys hacked the EECIV long ago, first for Mustang Performance. I have tuned 4 blown builds now with Tweecer and could help.

Scroll down the Tweecer Home page to see what they sell and tunes they offer.

Last edited:

92ranger4L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4l 4x4
Transmission
Manual
I want to put 5psi to my 4.0l at low rpm. Got an air research/banks/Caterpillar/Garrett "hybrid" (from miscellaneous broken turbos but all Garrett-based) Current plan: low mount with maf in front of turbo so it can meter properly. How much can I sling on pure stock at low rpm? 2000-3200 is my desired operating range and I'm not worried about the turbo providing boost in that range, because I made 5psi from 1200rpm on my old geo tracker 1.6l with it.

The o2 sensor fine?

The injector capacity? Projected 215ish hp, and I'm not after peak hp just higher average hp. Sometimes can get away with running higher fuel psi for a bit to raise injector flow (say 45-50psi vs 35psi) then boost reference fuel pressure regulator to keep it straight, is that a good idea on stock?

What can manifold pressure sensor read? 1.34 bar minimum (1 bar + 5psi), but will it take 1.5 bar or 2 bar?

How is timing advance calculated on edis6 ignition? Vaccume, port velocity, static fuel+rpm tables?

Head gaskets a weak link?

To quote my favorite childhood book "Super Power- the complete DIY guide to turbos, blowers, and nitrous" any good NA engine is a good engine for boost, most good engines will take 8psi, it should be built to run good in the desired rpm range NA, then just add boost. just keep it fueled and oiled well and dont let it detonate

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Pretty sure my turbo 2.9 setup would definitely lend some good info about the subject, ive got a post on the 2.9 subforum about it, but I haven't updated it very well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals