• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to Flush Radiator

wayneg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just joined this forum so please let me know if this question should be posted elsewhere.

Anyway, I have a 2005 Ranger with a 2.3 engine and auto trans. Just turned 30,000 miles. I decided to flush and refill the radiator, and have these questions. One: there appears to be no radiator cap. I'm used to sticking a hose in the cap hole and running fresh water thru for a bit after draining, but I obviously can't do that here. Do I instead pull off the top hose and flush thru there? Second question: do I pull off the bottom hose to drain or is there a drain plug accessible once I remove the plastic cover/protector that's held in place by four plastic plugs?

Any and all advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated!

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i don't know about your specific vehicle, but alot of them have some drain plug like a wing nut orsomething of the sort at the bottom of the radiator... you have to have a radiator cap don't you?!

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
your radiator cap is probably on the over flow bottle. you can either flush from the upper hose or pull a heater hose and flush that way (this way you can make sure you get all the old coolant out of the heater core. there also should be a drain on the passenger side of the radiator. what are you planning to put back in it for coolant, good ole green stuff or the extended life stuff?

wayneg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was going to put in the yellow/golden extended life stuff, since that's what it was delivered with. Would the old-time green antifreeze be a better choice?

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the top and bottom hose to flush the radiator. Remove the thermostat and flush the block. Some heaters have a control valve. Remove the hoses at the heater connections if your's has the valve.:)shady

wayneg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also, I guess my "radiator cap" is on the coolant overflow bottle. I just took a look at that cap and it's marked 16psi, so I guess that's it. I'm just used to the cap being on the physical radiator itself, which is not the case here.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I was going to put in the yellow/golden extended life stuff, since that's what it was delivered with. Would the old-time green antifreeze be a better choice?
Use Zerex G-05. It's the same gold extended life stuff that's in it. Regular green would not be better.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I would put the extended life stuff back in. Unless you get the antifreeze that's compatible with everything, plain ol' green stuff should not be mixed with the gold/yellow extended life stuff unless you flush the system REALLY REALLY well. IMO not worth the effort so I get the mix-with-anything stuff.
On most cars and trucks, as long as I can reach it easily, I just pull off the lower rad hose to drain it, much faster that way. Stick it back on, don't bother with the clamp, fill with water, run, drain, and repeat. Ditto the upper hose to fill the system. I don't bother removing the thermostat.

dmt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
I was just getting ready to post this same question. WayneG let me know how this worked out for you.
Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals