• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

problems

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I am new here and I got a question for y'all guys. I bought a 1985 ford ranger 2.3 FI and I can not get it started. It will turn over but no start. I do not hear the pump clicking on maybe thought fuel pump but I was looking under the hood and found a EEC Relay but can't find where it goes. Just laying under the hood. So if yall could tell me where the EEC relay is I would really appriciate it a lot and tell me how to test parts and tell me how to get this ranger back running again. Thank you

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Too vague, get a fuse and relay diagram and see if any are missing.

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
Ok. Well I found the EEC Relay which was located on passenger side floorboard. Replaced the relay and still would not start. Reset the Inertia switch and then battery went dead so let yap know next week if its just the pump. But I wouldn't thin that both fuel pumps go bad at the same time. Any input? Thanks

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
any suggestion anybody

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Take a test light, crawl under the truck to the gas tank. You'll need to access the wiring harness where it plugs into the fuel pump. Unplug the harness if you can get to it and check to see if you have voltage to the pump with the key on. If you have voltage, your pump is toast. If you don't check the pump relay.

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
ok man thanks. i replaced both fuel pump relay and eec relay and reset inertia switch. but battery died so ill see this week. want it running real bad

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
well i put all new relays, fuses, and battery, also put new internal and external fuel pumps. check the voltage and nothing no current. reset inertia switch and nothing. getting no power to the pumps what so ever checked everything. any ideas?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the inertia switch might be fubar. I've had them go bad before and not be fixed by resetting it, now I have a couple spares sitting in my shed. You can test it by unplugging it and putting a jumper wire in the plug, if the pumps start working, then you found the problem.

If not that, then there is a wire that's broken and shorting out somewhere. But I'd suspect the inertia switch first. (can you tell I've been through this before and done exactly what you did?)

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks i will check that as soon as i can. thanks again

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
well this is what happened. i run a hot wire to the inertia switch connector and the external pump ran so i replace the inertia switch and got it from ford dealership. try to start it again and turns over but wont start. my farther tried to help me and diconnect internal pump connector and he run a hot wire to the connector and he exidently hit the hot wire to the ground connector on the pump. and now i am not getting no fuel still but now not getting no spark. did he blow a fuse or switch or is it just something else. but dont forget i replace all fuses and relays and dad just touch the wires yesterday. so i didnt know if it something elae doing it or dad cause another problem. thanks everybody for the response i need all the info i need

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
Anybody has any input. would really appriciate it?

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
your best bet would be to get a haynes or chilton manual for your truck. they have wiring diagrams that you can use to troubleshoot to find your problem

i just noticed you have an 83 and a 85 ranger. they are the same just about so use one to find the problem with the other. check voltages and such on one to see if they match on the other

Last edited:

fordranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 & 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
Thanks and I already have one thats how I found out where the eec relay was located at. I check the fuel pump relay for voltage and it is getting voltage so i am trying my best to figure out the problem but its just dragging me in circles

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
you'd be lucky if someone called this one out. sounds like the computer is not powering up if no fuel and no spark. need to test things with a meter, starting at the ecc relay. is it getting fused power? are you getting power from the key on run? ground?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals