• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Mazda B4000 starting problems

ilove2bike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I just got a 94 Mazda B4000 Manual 4x4. The truck was owned by someone who wasn't driving it regularly for about 6 months. It started with no issue when i first got the truck but not too long after I've started having issues. actually right after I bought my first tank of gas after burning through what was in the tank. Tired some fuel injector cleaner but it made no difference. Not sure if the fresh gas is related though. It seems to start more easily when it's cooler out but if its real hot I will need to crank it for a good 10-15 seconds before it fires and then it slowly comes up to idle. I've noticed if i crank it over for a few seconds then turn the key back to off and try again it will fire up with no issue. I've also noticed that it seems to be a little bogged down when just getting rolling in first until i get to maybe 1500 to 2000 RPM. Also if its real hot out it sometimes smells like it's running a bit rich. I can pick up a faint odor of fuel.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station!

Sounds like a fuel problem, eh?

Try turning the key to Run (do not crank the starter, but the dash lights come on and test), wait 3 seconds while the fuel pump "primes" and shuts off.
Turn the key back to Off and repeat back to Run, wait, THEN Crank it over.

If that clears up the problem, continue to do that until you decide to replace the fuel pump, or forever. Sometimes the fuel filter will seep, causing the same symptom, so go ahead and try a new filter (cheap enough), but my guess is that the check valve in the fuel pump has gone bad, letting fuel pressure bleed down.

This is very common. It is also a good idea to "prime" any fuel injected vehicle before cranking the starter. Saves wear and tear on the starter and battery.

I would replace the spark plugs too. That'll give you an idea how the engine is doing, if you "read" the old spark plugs. Put Motorcraft double Platinums in it!

ilove2bike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
seems to be a bit better but not perfect. I think ill replace the pump and filter and see what happens.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals