• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

vibration question?? help me!?

SuperRanger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6 4.0 hopefully soon
Transmission
Manual
OK when I'm going down the road my truck vibrates a lot and its all in the seat so it must be coming from the rear. I broke my short rear drive shaft and had it professionally rebuilt. Could it be out of balance or would a bad pinion bearing cause it to vibrate also?? And it did vibrate before I broke the shaft so I'm thinking its the bearing. And the vibration gets worse as I speed up so if I'm on the interstate and let it vibrates bad and if I let out of the gas or let it out of gear its even worse so what could it be??

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is the truck lifted? If you have a simple, single u-joint at each end, the angle of the joints has to be the same. The joints also have to be oriented the same--which the driveshaft shop knows. It seems like the truck has a lift on it, maybe a tall one, and that the rear axle needs shimmed to point it at the transfer case.

Pictures and details would help.

SuperRanger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its stock, its a super cab so it has the two shafts in back and the stock size tires, I had 31s on it for a while and it vibrated less and I haven't crawled under it to see if my rear flange has play in it. Should I start by checking that?

Attachments

jhammel85

Might want to try rotating your tires to see if it changes too.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Manually crawl underneath and shake your driveshaft. It could be the center support / carrier bearing, connecting both halves of the driveshaft. The rubber wears out over time.

I wouldn't blame it on the rear axle pinion bearing just yet. If that goes, then your gears are out of mesh, and you'll definitely hear a grinding humming sound.

And like Will suggested: check your u-joints.

SuperRanger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the help and I'll have to get under it soon because I have replaced all the u joints and when I broke my short shaft the shop put in a new carrier bearing so I'll have to check it all over again. Thanks guys and I'll get back with ya soon

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals