• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Standard Traction Lok Rebuild vs. Alternating Stack Method

squealingtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
110k miles mile rebuild on Traction Lok in progress. I purchased Ford Racing Traction-Lok rebuild kit: FMS-M-4700-B. This was the standard cheaper kit.

I read the tech article on the various options to pack more clutches into the carrier but wanted to get a feel for how people liked the performance of the standard rebuild in the Ranger. Found some stuff for the Mustang crowd regarding handling and such but my '93 is big and slow and has the turning performance of a worn-out 70's Eldorado. Doesn't seem to be much feedback on performance of a basic rebuild versus the upgraded alternatives. So this is my first time doing this rebuild and I've never owed a new truck so I don't know how "good" Ford intended it to be. So my question is: By adding the extra clutches (alternating method), how does the drivability change over the standard rebuild. Is it super unpredictable under light throttle in turns on wet pavement? I want as much bias as I can get without constantly chasing my tail. I have 33x12.50 mud tires if that makes any difference. Truck is primarily used for utility purposes and daily driving with occasional use as a hunting/expedition rig (no serious wheeling).

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
...I come to hate them from blowing the 7.5 and 8.8 to hell from over stacking and jacking the spring...

it works to tighten it up. if your lower power it will burn the tires up for a spell but for sure increase traction... then be as unpredictably useless as any. if you have big power....v8 or turbo whatever they can bite ya pretty good.

I had better luck two steels outer. bitch to get the spring in though.

I run regular oil so it would bite better, but it just wears it out faster. the additive is worth it to max clutch life. running without it stacked, I failed quite a few plates and blew spiders pins and caps out of many a diffcover.... but I was running large tires and for the era decent power.

33 in tires and stockish power should work ok.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals