• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Could be maybe so??

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
My truck has had this all the time 35 to 55 mph back/rear end shudder / vibration. Last night on the way home after driving about an hour, coming down a right curve ramp I noticed it quite pronounced while making the turn so now I'm thinking it is the driver side rear axle bearing? And not the driveshaft (93, 4wd 4.0)

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
OK guess I shoulda put "rear axle bearing" in the heading LOL

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Inspect u joints, driveshaft carrier bearing first. If the vibration is load and speed dependent it is going to be something in the driveshaft. If it is speed dependent it will be the wheels/tires/balance.

A bad bearing won’t cause a vibration, it’ll make a growling/humming noise.

If the driveline has no noticeable damage I would not suspect it being out of balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Inspect u joints, driveshaft carrier bearing first. If the vibration is load and speed dependent it is going to be something in the driveshaft. If it is speed dependent it will be the wheels/tires/balance.

A bad bearing won’t cause a vibration, it’ll make a growling/humming noise.

If the driveline has no noticeable damage I would not suspect it being out of balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't realize I had a reply! I haven't done anything with it. it's been too cold and raining . Oh it's a one piece driveshaft long bed

some days the shakes more than others I'm not quite sure it's temperature related

I was " told" the U joints and slip yoke where okay when they dropped it and greased the slip yoke spline thing. But this is the same trusted garage I used for many many years that I told me my ball joints were okay and they were completely shot.

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Perhaps they installed the driveshaft "out of phase" when they reinstalled it. Not sure how you could tell. Everything I read says "matchmark" before removal so as to reinstall in exact same position. This would lead me to believe that if out of phase...could possibly cause a vibration.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
out of phase is easy to tell, the U joint yokes on the center part of the shaft should line up, U joint caps in line in other words...

That speed range is saying blown cord in a tire to me, or badly out of balance, had it happen several times in my short driving career :)

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
out of phase is easy to tell, the U joint yokes on the center part of the shaft should line up, U joint caps in line in other words...

That speed range is saying blown cord in a tire to me, or badly out of balance, had it happen several times in my short driving career :)
Did it with the old tires, new tires have been well balanced and rotated twice now but it's always had a little Shake between 35 and 55 mile an hour. I hope it's drive shaft but I know the bearings go bad on these rear ends prematurely unless people just change them just for fun. But making shake on long ramp turns kind of makes me think think axle bearing instead of drive shaft. Thanks all!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals