• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No sound from radio speakers - 1991 Ford F250

SolidSnake84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, haven't posted in a long time, but i'm having a unique kind of problem with a truck i just purchased. It also plagued the previous two owners.

1991 Ford F-250, XLT. 351 Windsor and ZF Manual transmission, not that i think that would make a difference with this problem.

The guy i got it from could never get the radio to work. This isn't a joke. It has a couple year old JVC head unit, original factory in door speakers. He tried two different local radio install places, neither which could get it to work, so they never charged him for it.

Unit lights up, scrolls through the different stations, and you can put your IPOD on, I Heart Radio, whatever, it seems to work fine, but absolutely no sound comes from the speakers.

I have pulled the radio out and examined the install, they used one of those adapters that plug right into the factory harness, and there is no evidence of hacked / jury rigged wiring or anything like that. I also verified the in-door speakers were not blown out, by taking one out and hooking it to a radio in my garage.

Is there anything that can be checked before just buying two new speakers, bypassing the factory harness and wiring directly to the new head unit's harness?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This is an old post but...

I had a 79 do the same thing. I fought with it and fought with it, come to find out it was a bad antenna wire. I swapped out the antenna and wire with one from a junkyard 77 and it worked fine. I dont know if they ground with it or what, but try that.

I imagine a 91 is setup more less the same

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Turn the radio on and then check the speaker plug for AC voltage. It should go up as the volume is turned up, but they don't peak real high, so anything is a good sign. If you have it replace the speakers. If you don't start chasing the wiring back towards the head.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals