• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Oil pressure needle erratic.

chessman21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1969 f-600hd
Make / Model
1991 ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the sencor about a year ago. I added a quart of Havoline 5/30 to my 10/30 Castrol gtx to bring level up to the mark and today the Gage needle is jumping hard back and forth when i sit still and idle and it does so hard i can hear the needle bouncing off the "0" peg. Normally needle doesn't move at all.. May that be the wire connection cap loosing contact or something more serious?

I drive it 20 miles coming home but it didnt do again so far.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It could be a loose connection.

chessman21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1969 f-600hd
Make / Model
1991 ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
91 4.0 dumb questions.

Well, i know i could be but whats the more likely, the pump or connection cap on censor? Iv got to jack up truck cause i dont fit and im on oxygen 24/7 and whats considerd to be simple for most proves to be very difficult for me. This is the reasoning behind most of my super simplistic non answered questions on this forum about this truck.

Is the pump a simple bolt on? under pan?

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oil pressure is purely a mechanical function. It is very unlikely that it is intermittent. Thus a bouncing needle is not likely to be related to a genuine pressure problem, but not impossible.

I think the first thing I would do, since it is the least invasive, is probably to get an aligator clip test wire, use it to hook the sensor's wire to the block, and go for a drive. If the issue persists, wiring, or gauge.

If it doesn't then you have a choice to make, since you are not fully able-bodied it seems. You either need to install a mechanical gauge and see what it says the pressure is doing, or replace the sensor and hope that was the problem.

The oil pump is not a simple affair. The engine has to come at least partway out to get to it, but for as far as you have to take it out to get the pan off do to the pump you may as well pull it the whole way out and put it on a stand to do the job.

chessman21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1969 f-600hd
Make / Model
1991 ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I drove it today and again after truck Got to operating temperature in stop & go traffic and only at a stopped idle tho and its definitely a mini series of hard complete bounce from one side to the other once it starts. If i raise rpms up at all it returns to were it allways reads after i installed it.. As i said i do have a mixture of brand of 5w &10w30 oil in crank case
(rear main leak) And it started right after adding a quart. ANd filter is past due for another doesnt seem like none of that would cause that bouncing like that. Is it possable for the filter to be so dirty oil wont go through it unless rpms are up some?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mixing oil brand or viscosity won't cause this.

Oil filters have bypass valves in them to prevent oil starvation if the filter plugs up completely, so that is also unlikely.

This could also be an alternator issue. Do that first test to narrow this down to an electric or oil pressure issue.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Well, good oil filters have bypass valves stock with a motorcraft FL1A haha, I agree though, I doubt it’s in internal engine issue especially if you don’t hear any accompanying noises with it. You’d likely hear the lifters collapsing if it got seriously low.

The thing with these dummy ford gauges is that they are reading in the center above 3psi and read zero pressure below that.

Best to put a mechanical gauge in and know for sure what your pressure is, if you are unable to do it it should not be too expensive for someone to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals