• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'02 Ranger w/3.0L - Question?

GETRDUN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I am a long time F-150 owner, but recently bought an '02 Ranger w/3.0L, 2WD, and A/T. The truck has 123,000 miles. I am using 4qts. Valvoline 5W20, and 1qt. Lucas stabilizer as lubricant. The motor is strong.
My question is: At an idle, engine makes a ticking sound. Is this normal for this motor? Also, coolant is brown. Is it normal for this to happen in this motor? I have run V8 engines my whole life, this V6 is a first for me, and I want to learn all I can. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd flush and fill the cooling system. Brown coolant is not normal, but it could just be old.
My 3.0 has always ticked a little. It's kind of quiet though. Sounds like valvetrain and injectors clicking on/off. You can only really hear it when the hood is open. If your ticking is loud enough that you can hear it while sitting inside your truck, there may be an issue.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I would get rid of the Lucas and just use regular 5w20 with no additives. As for the coolant, it's possible someone put the wrong kind of antifreeze in there and two different chemistries mixed. The correct coolant to use is Motorcraft Premium Gold, or Zerex G-05 which is available at Napa. It is a light yellow/gold color. I would flush out the cooling system and refill with the correct antifreeze.

rodburner66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just replaced the cam position sensor in my 02 ranger 3.0 ...it made a slight ticking/chirping sound.my bro, a lifelong wrencher, pulled serp. belt to eliminate all pulley & idlers ,alt. & PS pump .It's a half dist. shaft in the same place as one( a dist. ) would be.right behind intake @ left center, easy fix .saw threads on here or another ford site cant member which , google it

GETRDUN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it. My best to you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals