• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission knocking noise (almost 100% sure its the flex plate) need some advice

usa_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
1991 ford ranger auto 3.0l

Recently started hearing a rod knock type of noise coming from the trans, slowly but progressively getting worst. :sad:
I believe it is the flex plate based off youtube videos (sounds almost exactly the same), but obviously I'm not 100% sure b/c I haven't looked at the flex plate yet. I believe this issue has started because we have a leak in the transmission thats been there for a while.
I cant afford a new trans but my girlfriend's uncle has a car lift that we can use. We have to drive a 70 or so miles to get there, so basically we would only have one or two days to get the repair done, that is if we decided used their lift.

-Any advice on how to pinpoint this issue besides youtube sound comparisons? or a plan of action to get this job done.
-And is dropping the transmission easy if I have a lift any transmission jack? (but no air tools)

I dont mind if we end up accidentally replacing parts that are not the issue...
but I just want to be sure that the repair is successful the FIRST time I reinstall the transmission.

sounds exactly like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyMoi1xAqak

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals