• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

frontaxle swap

Jklancaster12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
looking into a 5.0 swap from a 97 explorer awd to my 98 b4000 2wd I'm wondering if anyone knows the gearing for both vehicles and if its possible to do a front axle swap to the ranger and if so is the gearing the same or if the gears can be swapped in the rear from the explorer or can I just run without the front drive shaft until I can do a solid axle swap thanks

Lanciadave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Look at your rearend. There should be a tag on back on one of the bolts that lists size of the rear, gearing, and whether or not it has limited slip, among other info. Shape of that rear pan also gives a clue. Most Ranger were 7.5 but some were 8.8", occasionally with LSD. This info can also be found on a tag when you open the door. Front and rear gearing should match.
I know some people swap to the explorer 8.8 rear if their ranger came with 7.5, as only mounts have to be changed. I don't know for sure about the front. At least you can check for a match.

Dave

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, look at the door codes for both vehicles. Take the axle code you find to the tech section article and compare.

Lots of us swap Explorer rear differentials into our Rangers - they are 8.8s with 31 spline axles and disc brakes.

2wd '98 Ranger front frame is completely different than the 4wd one - you would be better off looking at a SAS than installing the Explorer front axle. If your truck was '99 or newer Edge (has torsion front suspension), it is possible to install Explorer axle with a few brackets.

The 'good' part; the BW4404 always puts power to rear wheels, so if you don't connect anything to front output, it will still drive (You will just have the extra weight of transfer case/drag of extra bearings).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals