• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Solved: 2002 Ranger idle problems; oxygen sensor codes; bank 1 & 2 lean

RedRider

Reaction score
Howdy all:

Intro:
I am VERY new to this forum but posting this for the sake of building a reference for future searches with these problems. I think I came here at a bad time. As I understand it, TRS.com is going to lose all of it's archived posts which were used to search past posts that could solve a problem. If that is the case. Let me post my problem so that others may be able to find some direction in the future.

The truck:
2002 Ranger 4.0L SOHC 80K miles
The Problem:
I had a check engine light come on. I took it to autozone and they said the codes read that the o2 sensors were bad and reading lean. ARGH, if I could go back to that day, I would have saved a $100+ dollars! As it happens I bought and replaced the TWO O2 sensors they said were bad.
(I could go on about the sensors I bought, one was before the catalytic converter and one after, the guy at autozone didnt know there were THREE O2 sensors on my truck.)

Moral of the STORY:
Dont trust check engine lights codes entirely. My gut instinct was 'how can TWO O2 sensors go bad at the same time'??? THAT should be a clue to anyone that goes to an auto parts store to have their codes checked. (I previously owned a Dodge Dakota with an intermittent electrical problem so I am no stranger to throwing money at a problem and hoping it goes away! :D I should have came to TRS and posted the problem here first!!!)

The Grand Finale:
My brother and I did a tune up on my truck before a long road trip. Everything was fine afterward. About 200 miles into the roadtrip the check engine light comes on. I have it tested at a different autoparts store and AGAIN they are saying it is the oxygen sensors! I say BS two of the three are brand new!

I continued on the road trip and noticed there is no difference in gas mileage, but the idle is running high. Like if I downshift to 2nd gear at 25 mph the rpm is running at 3k! I fix the problem by shifting to neutral and gunning the engine until the rpm comes back to normal.

While on the road, I contact my brother and he suggests something else could be triggering the bank 1 and bank 2 lean codes such as an IAC sensor, or a vacuum leak. He is right on! When I got back and checked it further sure enough we found a vacuum leak. It was in the corner of the vent line for the pcv valve. (If you guys want pics just let me know!)

Anyway, even with an electrical tape fix the idle on my truck resumed to normal and I havent faced the idle problems again. I havent put a lot of miles on my truck in the meantime but finding a vacuum leak and fixing it is very encouraging!!

Last but not least, IF you encounter this problem, I totally lucked out and had a guy at the Ford Parts center find a part that works for a lot less $$$. The part number is 3w7z-6853-aa. It costs $17 verus the $32 for the entire vacuum line, plus you get two of the corner vent hoses-they are not a precise 90 degree turn hose like the original but they still work.

I hope this eventually helps someone.

Cheers!

-Brian

PS A link to the location and part is here...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/pdxchump/DSC_0033a.jpg

Edited to add photo link.

Last edited:

CharlieMac98

Reaction score
Thanks for your post. I was headed toward the O2 sensor also. Past troubleshooting other vehicle experience was pointing that way. This is the first Ranger I've owned. Hope I can repay the info someday for someone. cmc

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks for posting RedRider. That's good info, and it will help others down the road. Codes are kinda like a huntin' dog; it'll point you to the right tree, but you gotta bag the critter yourself.

Last edited:

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
On the newer versions of ODB2 (I wanna say 98?+) there are a LOT of codes...

the cheap scanner that is used at schucks, autozone, etc, only pull the main 'code', but if you have a better (read MUCH more expensive) reader, you can pinpoint a lot better what the cause is. It's still not perfect (IE, it'll say Main code:XXXXX, then list the things that could cause it for that particular problem)

Sometimes it's worth it to pay someone with a SnapOn Modis reader or equivilant :grin:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Great post, should help a buncha people in the future

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
yep. excelent post............

RedRider

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! You encouraged me to write about my serpentine belt problems. Apart from those two things I am no good to this forum! :)

Cheers.
-Brian

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals