• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ranger, replaced front brakes and now it clunks.

JT1296

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I now walk into the wild. -Alexander supertramp
So I've been pretty busy fixing things on my truck, usually before they break (with the exception of my starter which I changed in a 711 parking lot because I was stranded) but the main point is I replaced my front brakes last weekend and ever since then my truck clunks going over bumps unless I have the brake slightly pressed... any suggestions? It's my daily and I have 24 hours to get it back on the road...
Thanks for your time, JT

Deerpaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Might be a little late but i just had the same problem with this last week. It felt like I had a motor/trans mount failing. Could feel something moving under the truck, Loud clunking when going over bumps when the brakes weren't applied but no clunking when they were applied. Took the wheel off all the way down to the spindle and put it back together. The caliper bolts were only hand tight. (Fail on my part for not double checking when I installed my lift spindles). But that solved the problem.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually Deerpaw if you didn't use thread locker, it might not be a double checking fail.

Unfortunately, caliper bolts backing out is an issue with Explorers/Ranger. And as a result, Ford recommends thread locker in addition to properly tightening the bolts.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you put the brake pad shims/brackets back and in the right position? I left them off in a different vehicle once because it was a pain to get them back in place and the pads would rattle and make noises when I hit a bump, unless I was on the brake pedal. It was braking ok it was just noisy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals