• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering '97 with 5.0 swap

JackLima

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I want my '97 to sit about 3/4" lower than stock. What would be the best way to do this? I'm not sure if I should do dream beams in the front or just do some lowering springs. As for the rear end, I've got the stock 7.5" rear end in it right now(probably only holding up because it doesn't have near enough tire on it). I have the 8.8(3.73, lim slip, disk brakes) out of the explorer I used for parts and I've got the leaf springs for it too. If I just put it on as it is, how much drop would I get? Should I put the Ranger springs on explorer axle? Some other combination(want it fairly cheap, but if it'll work better, so be it)

That might be confusing, I want my truck 3/4" lower. What's the best solution for achieving that while swapping to an axle that is already spring under.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
JackLima:

I'm assuming you wanting 3" front, 4" rear not just 0.75"? :)

For 3" front, dream beams in front would be my recommendation; cutting coils for that much drop would result in very stiff ride, and probably result in alignment issues. Putting Explorer axle in back (over springs) makes about a 4.75" difference (3.25" axle tube, 1.5" spring pack). Explorer springs have a 1/2" more arch than the Ranger ones, so would get you very close to 4"... DJM's solution is 2" longer rear shackles which results in axle moving down 0.75" as axle is a little ahead of center of spring.

If you're only wanting 0.75" cutting front coil and removing 'overload' spring would be my recommendation.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
JackLima:

I'm assuming you wanting 3" front, 4" rear not just 0.75"? :)

For 3" front, dream beams in front would be my recommendation; cutting coils for that much drop would result in very stiff ride, and probably result in alignment issues. Putting Explorer axle in back (over springs) makes about a 4.75" difference (3.25" axle tube, 1.5" spring pack). Explorer springs have a 1/2" more arch than the Ranger ones, so would get you very close to 4"... DJM's solution is 2" longer rear shackles which results in axle moving down 0.75" as axle is a little ahead of center of spring.

If you're only wanting 0.75" cutting front coil and removing 'overload' spring would be my recommendation.
I'm considering buying another Ranger for a DD. I want it to be lowered though.

If I did dream beams up from, Explorer axle in back with spring under axle would it be too low? <-Need a C notch?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals