• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pressure issue

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey folks! It's been a while since I posted, but I was hoping to pick you brains.

My fiancee has a 2001 Ranger 4.0 4x4, 152k miles, and no records of fuel pump or filter replacements. It's been having trouble starting, so I figured it was fuel related. I had her prime the line by turning the key forward a couple times before starting it for about a week. That worked, so I went and bought a fuel pressure gauge. Sure enough, it registered about 2 PSI on the first prime, and 20 PSI on the second prime. I started it, and it registered 67 PSI (right where it's supposed to be)

I replaced the filter hoping that would do it, and it helped tremendously. It now registers around 50 after priming it. That's not an exact figure, cause I don't have her here to turn the ignition for me, so I have to jump out of the cab and check. There is a certain amount of PSI lost in those few seconds.

My question for you is; since pressure is correct during operation, but low upon priming, does this indicate a bad (in tank) fuel pump? I'm assuming the high pressure pump is good, given the operating PSI is where it's supposed to be.

We're getting married on July 19th, so we're trying to spend as little money as possible. Thus I would like to replace only one pump, and not both! What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be two things, assuming MPG has not dropped dramatically, and you don't smell gas anywhere.

In either case you must get to the fuel pump.
So remove the bed or drop the tank.

In the fuel pump is a check valve(backflow preventer), if this starts to fail system pressure will drop when engine is off(fuel pump off), it is not a separate piece, fuel pump must be replaced.

Second reason could be a leak in the fuel line IN the tank, just a small one, but when fuel pump is off fuel pressure drops as fuel leaks back into the tank

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dude, you know you only have one fuel pump on that truck, right?

Sounds to me like the check valve is shot.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oops, missed that part, what he ^^ said :)

2001 Ranger has the "Returnless" Fuel system, and only 1 in tank fuel pump, 65 psi average pressure

Older Rangers with return line had average pressure of 45psi, and some had 2 fuel pumps, these also had a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, "returnless" does not

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could be two things, assuming MPG has not dropped dramatically, and you don't smell gas anywhere.

In either case you must get to the fuel pump.
So remove the bed or drop the tank.

In the fuel pump is a check valve(backflow preventer), if this starts to fail system pressure will drop when engine is off(fuel pump off), it is not a separate piece, fuel pump must be replaced.

Second reason could be a leak in the fuel line IN the tank, just a small one, but when fuel pump is off fuel pressure drops as fuel leaks back into the tank
Thanks for the info Ron! I appreciate it:icon_thumby:

Dude, you know you only have one fuel pump on that truck, right?
I didn't, but now I do! Thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, 88 was the last year for two pumps. That's how Ford did twin tank fuel systems early on. When they ditched that as an option on the Ranger in 89 they went to a single pump in the tank.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals