• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brakes soft, pedal goes all the way to the floor. 2001 4.0L

5.0gray90'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The brakes in my 2001 4.0L 4x4 ranger are soft and the pedal goes all the way to the floor when braking. it stops, but it doesnt stop like it should. Has anyone had this problem, or know any solutions. I cant see any brake fluid leaking, the only thing i suspect is a wheel cylinder in the back, would that cause this problem?

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
bleed the system... is the reservoir full?

5.0gray90'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yes the reservior is full.

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From the top, check:
Master Cylinder, filled to correct level.
Check consistency and color of fluid, compare to new fluid.
Check vacuum home connection from intake to power booster. (Make sure it's connected on both ends and in good condition)
Check your wheel cylinders/calipers for damage or leaks.
Check your pads/shoes for wear (note any inconsistent or odd wear for later).
Check the brake mechanisms for anything out of place (damage, cracks, missing parts/bolts/pieces etc.)
Clean your rotors and drums with some form of brake cleaner (NOT 409 or other household cleaners).
If you do all of that and don't find anything, the problem is in your mind :)
But if you do get there, bleed the system twice. Bad brakes and nothing damaged means air in the system.

mht95ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 95 did the same thing and it turned out to need pads.. The caliper pistons were so far out and the caliper slide pins were frozen.

5.0gray90'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
just replaced the back shoes, a wheel cylinder in the back, and front pads. then bled the system. seems to stop better, but i can still push the pedal to the floor. it stops alot better. i can only push it to the floor when the engine is running tho, not when it is shut off.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The ONLY way this can happen is with a slight leak or with air in the lines somewhere. I would recommend you
(1) take a nice, objective, critical, long look of EVERYTHING in your system. Look for some discoloration that makes the part look wet and there's your area (obviously if you just washed it this isn't the wet I'm talking about).
(2) If you determine there is in fact not a leak in the system, then bleed it bleed it and bleed it. Start from the back passenger side wheel, then to the driver's side rear wheel, then to the passenger side front wheel, and finally the driver's side rear wheel. If this doesn't fix the problem, see step 1.

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Check to make sure the bleeder screw is above the brake hose upon installation of calipers (L vs.R), it will help the air out of the system when the brakes are bled.

Good luck

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Just for shits and giggles....with the truck off pump the pedal till it's stiff. Hold your foot on the pedal and start the truck. Does the pedal drop?

Any fluid behind the master cylinder? Unbolt it and pull it back a little. See if the seal is blown.

Other than that make sure the line by the gas tank doesn't have a pin hole in it. They like to corrode back there.

Also when bleeding the system use brand new fluid and let it gravity bleed till it's clean. Brake fluid is highly hydroscopic. It will pull moisture from the atmosphere if left open or unsealed. Moisture is bad in a brake fluid system cause when it heats up it turns to air.

Other than than that...make sure the pins aren't frozen in the caliper bracket and that the hoses aren't bulging when the brakes are applied.

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It really sounds like he has the calipers reversed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals