• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tailgate wont open need clarification

progolfer1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Measure 4 times then cut it anyway
My tailgate wont open. Passenger side latch wont move. I am aware I need to remove the 8 screws on the back of the tailgate . That will then remove the chrome panel on the outside of the gate . Is there another panel to remove after that one comes off ? When I try to open the gate the passenger side barely moves. So one can assume there is a bind some place. Other side works ok. Since I have it open (hopefully) should I replace all I can so I wont have to do it again? Parts readily available at parts stores ? Or Junkyard visit?
Thanks

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had the same problem with mine. i sprayed the shit out of it with PB Blaster (handle and release) and worked them and now it works great... try that before you take anything apart or spend money...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
removing that panel won't get you access to anything. that only works on the newer models with the removable panel on the inside of the tailgate opposite the handle.

As Gary suggested spray it down good with some penetrant and work it some, should free up and go to working like proper. May need to use a screwdriver and manually work the latch a bit.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I agree with the above...mine was gummed up with something and I managed to free it up to the point where it worked like new...but then I changed it out for a newer tailgate (came with the 92 box) because I did what you did and couldn't get mine back together the way I wanted it...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just hit it harder.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The only way I can get my tailgate to open is to carry around two small screwdrivers and go from the inside of the tailgate and open each side individually... it's getting old buy my latches are loose on the tailgate so it'll require some welding...

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You live every day, you only die once...
The only way I can get my tailgate to open is to carry around two small screwdrivers and go from the inside of the tailgate and open each side individually... it's getting old buy my latches are loose on the tailgate so it'll require some welding...
I had to do this for a while too. What I did was take the whole handle out, soak it in some kind of penetrant/oil for a while (24hrs-2days) and spray the latches several times while the hand was soaking. Let it dry. Put it back together and everything has working fine since.

progolfer1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Measure 4 times then cut it anyway
I took it all apart and took handle soaked it a bit then sprayed it till it drowned and then put some graphite grease on it and put it back together. Works like new now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals