• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Joel's 98 "Mean Green Desert Machine" Budget Prerunner Build

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would go with 4.56s at least If you plan to run 35s. Thats what I ran when I had 33s and liked it. If your planning on being hard on this thing, go up to 31 or 35 spline while your rebuilding the diff now. 28 spline stock axles won't last very long, especially with a spool. And If your going to drive it on the street on a regular basis you will probably get annoyed with a spool, but they are def the best option for when its in the dirt.

joelc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would go with 4.56s at least If you plan to run 35s. Thats what I ran when I had 33s and liked it. If your planning on being hard on this thing, go up to 31 or 35 spline while your rebuilding the diff now. 28 spline stock axles won't last very long, especially with a spool. And If your going to drive it on the street on a regular basis you will probably get annoyed with a spool, but they are def the best option for when its in the dirt.
was thinking 4.56. I currently have 4.10 and they feel fine but not enough to spin the tires. I don't plan on pushing as hard as you do alec lol I really just want a fun capable truck. think it will be bad to run a spool on the 28 spline? its the cheapest route for now and if I break ill step up to 35 spline. also if I were to take you the case how much would it be to regear with new bearings and install the spool?

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would at least find a 31 spline housing to start with. You'd probably never break it and that way your not buying a spool/bearings twice and paying to have it built again after it breaks the 28 spline. If you brought me the 3rd I could have it built with new gears, bearings and spool for about $750

joelc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would at least find a 31 spline housing to start with. You'd probably never break it and that way your not buying a spool/bearings twice and paying to have it built again after it breaks the 28 spline. If you brought me the 3rd I could have it built with new gears, bearings and spool for about $750
I already have the housing. came out of a late 70s ranchero. its about 6" wider than the ranger axle. they say its a heavy duty housing. I may just weld the spiders lol

joelc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sorry its been dead in here guys. life got busy and truck was on hold. I dropped her off at bbm offroad to start the front kit build. should be down there for a few weeks. ill keep it updated with pictures as there is progress. stay tuned for the launch of the bbm offroad 98+ ranger xlt race kit! :headbang::icon_welder:

BBMoffroad

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Started laying out joels lower arms in cad today.

BBMoffroad

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Damaged upper arm mounts are fixed.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks pretty .....! Thanks for posting.

BBMoffroad

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1 last post from me now that the truck is no longer in the shop.

derikrthoma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
tryingg to start this thread again, how well did the rear set up work? I'm trying to do the same exact thing but with kings and bumpstops, possibly compression adjusters. want to know how well this could actually work with proper tuning.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals