• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 2.3L Automatic...I screwed up

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
97 2.3L Automatic...wrong trans fluid?

I screwed the pooch today...changed the transmission fluid...used the wrong fluid, I put in Max Life Mercon LV..DOH! After futher investigating and from this link http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransmissionFluid.shtml found I needed the Mercon V...

1997-2011 Ford Ranger Mercon V Automatic Transmission Fluid
3.0 Quarts (drain and refill)
6.0 Quarts (with torque convertor drain *)

On the initial change I dropped the pan, let it drip for about an hour, replaced the filter/gasket, put back on pan, then put 4 quarts down the dipstick tube, then pulled the top line to the radiator, fed a 1/2" ID clear tube held by a hose clamp down into a gallon milk jug while letting the truck idle, got about 1/2 a gallon that way. Letting it drip for a while got ALOT of fluid out.

So to fix my screwup do I redrop the pan and let it drip, then fill with Mercon V and pump a gallon out and top off...Or do I just pull the cooler lines to the radiator, and pump out a gallon, replace the Mercon LV with Mercon V in the pan thru the dipstick tube, then pump another gallon, and top off?

Another question, will a small amount of Mercon LV (maybe 1.5 quarts) mixed with Mercon V cause problems (I will be replacing 8 quarts of the Mercon LV with Mercon V (total capacity is 9.5 quarts per manufacturer)

Will mixing those oils do the same as the old green and orange radiator fluid that would turn to sludge, or will it not cause that big of an issue or does the Mercon LV eat the plates/seals?

Last edited:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
It looks by my research that it is non compatible, my suggestion is don't drive it. Have it taken to a shop that does transmission flushes with a fluid exchanger. If they are not compatible it may cause some serious issues if you don't get it done correctly.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Read this for a bit of reassurance.. Dex/Merc spozta be good for Mercon Mercon V and Mercon LV applications.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf tells alll

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
Read this for a bit of reassurance.. Dex/Merc spozta be good for Mercon Mercon V and Mercon LV applications.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf tells alll
Well fooey...I didn't need to change it then...daggumit!

Would be nice to use the same trans fluid my wifes Toyota Sienna uses

Either way I got 10 quarts of wallyworld Mercon V, went ahead and pulled both lines, stuck the hoses on w/ hose clamps, held them down in the old LV jugs, pumped out 2 gallons of the old stuff and replaced with the good stuff...8 quarts should do it...shifts good.

I put about 1/2 a quart of trans fluid in a full tank of gas occasionally to clean out the system...at least now I have a rather large stock on hand..fooey
Only wasted about $50, but better to know I put the right fluid in...I will remember that the LV is ok for my truck next time

Now on to changing out the water pump after doing a VERY good flush...the previous owner didn't take very good care of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals