• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

why is my 1997 ranger not getting heat?

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
my heater core is not leaking and my thermostat gauge is reading the way it should. Can anyone think of why I dont have heat. It worked last week, but now I just get cold air when i turn the heat on. Thanks in advance.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
my heater core is not leaking and my thermostat gauge is reading the way it should. Can anyone think of why I dont have heat. It worked last week, but now I just get cold air when i turn the heat on. Thanks in advance.
do you have AC? if so you should have a "heater control valve". It should be inline with the heater hose. it shuts of the heat when the ac is on.

I saw earlier that someone suggestion the blend door, however i thought the symptom of a bad blendoor was max heat or AC out of the defrost(the default setting)..........you can go to heatertreater.net and read all about it. They have an easier solution for repairing the blend door if that is your issue. but first check the heater control valve and see that the hose feeding the heater core is getting hot.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
do you have AC? if so you should have a "heater control valve". It should be inline with the heater hose. it shuts of the heat when the ac is on.

I saw earlier that someone suggestion the blend door, however i thought the symptom of a bad blendoor was max heat or AC out of the defrost(the default setting)..........you can go to heatertreater.net and read all about it. They have an easier solution for repairing the blend door if that is your issue. but first check the heater control valve and see that the hose feeding the heater core is getting hot.
my ac works fine. when i turn on defrost i get no heat or when i just turn on the vents. I'll look into the heater control valve. thanks. I just want to get this fixed before winter.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
my ac works fine. when i turn on defrost i get no heat or when i just turn on the vents. I'll look into the heater control valve. thanks. I just want to get this fixed before winter.
after the truck is warm and the heat is on feel the heater hose on both sides of the heater control valve. if only one side is hot the valve is not working properly. it works on a vacuum you can go to rockauto.com and see wha tit loooks like there are a few different kinds that they used...........if the hoses is hot you might have a blend door issue or a clogged heater core.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you may have a broken blend door. Those trucks are known for it. The door binds up in the heater case and causes the blend motor to break the pivot shaft at the top of the door. I've already replaced the one in my 97. Unfortunately, you have to remove the entire dash and heater box to replace it.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like you may have a broken blend door. Those trucks are known for it. The door binds up in the heater case and causes the blend motor to break the pivot shaft at the top of the door. I've already replaced the one in my 97. Unfortunately, you have to remove the entire dash and heater box to replace it.
you can fix it the heatertreater.net way. the kit is expensive but cheaper than pulling the dash..........you also can just do it the way heatetreater( you cut the plenum with a dremmel tool) does it just.

I am trying to get the OP to feel both sides of the heater hose were the "heater control valve" is to see if the valve is stuck closed...........if that is not the issue you are proably right and it is the blend door

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
i turned the heat on after checking on either side of the valve. suddenly it is working again. any suggestions on what could fix itself?

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i turned the heat on after checking on either side of the valve. suddenly it is working again. any suggestions on what could fix itself?
if air gets into the heater core, it needs to be bled which means taking the exit heater core hose off and running engine until air is out of the heater core. Also the valve could have been stuck and moving it unstuck it or even knocked the hoses around enough to move the air bubble in the hose. When I bleed the air out of my heater core I usually run the truck until thermostat is open and the hoses are pressurized. I then pop the little hose off the heater core hose that runs to the throttlebody. it squirts for a second but it works. Make sure you have extra fluid in the over-flow tank so when the radiator cools, it sucks the extra fluid out of the over-flow tank to refill what you squirted. Also during the bleeding process the temp settings need to be on AC VENT and HOT with fan on full blast

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals