• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Bronco Build

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I never thought I'd be starting my own build thread. This is my first project car. I recently bought a 94 Bronco from my fiancee's parents. They are the original owners. They recently tried selling it with no success. I've always wanted a project car, and Broncos are totally awesome, so I bought it. It has about 220,000 miles on it, but both the engine and transmission have been rebuilt and they only have 30k on them. It has a 5.0 and E4OD. My plans are to fix it up so it's reliable and safe to drive, then fix all the rust, then eventually restore it to like-new condition. I don't plan on off-roading it or modifying it at all; I just want it be pretty much stock, like the way it was in 1994.

Things I need to do first before I can even drive it:
1. Redo the whole front suspension (ball joints, bushings, tie rods, steering box, etc)
1a. After that: get an alignment, then new tires.
2. Replace clock spring and turn signal switch
3. Finish fixing tailgate (more details on that below)
4. Replace rear brakes
5. Fix leaking transmission lines
6. Add this truck to my insurance policy :icon_twisted: I'm holding off on this for now because I'm not going to drive this at all until I get the above issues fixed. As far as I'm concerned this truck is not drivable and unsafe in the condition it's in. It will take me a few months to get all these issues sorted out (lack of spare time) and it would be a waste of money to pay insurance on a car I'm not even driving.

7. Get the truck registered. I'm holding off on this for 2 reasons: 1. I need to show the DMV a valid insurance card when I register it (See #6) and 2. As of January 2014, this truck will be old enough for antique license plates. :cool: I think they look cool and the property tax is cheaper with these plates. So I need to wait until January to register it. Hopefully I'll have issues 1-5 sorted out by then (I doubt it though :sad:)

There are many many more things that need to be addressed, but I'm focusing on these first 5 things for now. The tailgate is my first project. The window was stuck closed and thus the tailgate cannot open. The tailgate hasn't been opened in years. Turns out the window regulator is bad. I had to take a sawzall and cut the arms of the regulator off so I could lower the window. Then I opened the tailgate. The driver's side latch is very sticky and the passenger side doesn't latch at all. I need to lube up the latches, fix the rods to the latches, possibly re-align the strikers and just get the talgate opening and closing properly. Then install new regulator. This tailgate will only be used temporarily until I start the body work and fixing rust. This tailgate is very rusted and too far gone to save. Also, the torsion bar spring inside has a bracket that rotted off (common problem), so if I were to open the tailgate with the window all the way down, the window would shatter. Good thing I discovered that before it happened. I disabled the spring for now and will leave it that way until I get a new tailgate. Whew, that was a lot of typing. That's all for now.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The driver's seat track is broken. One of the front bolts snapped off a few years ago, so every time someone sat in the seat, the seat would tilt to one side. Repeated tilting of the seat caused a part of the track to snap off. I bought some used tracks off eBay. The guy was selling the driver's and passenger's as a set. I only need to replace the driver's seat track, so I'll probably try to resell the passenger track to make some of my money back.

I already removed what was left of the broken bolt and installed a new bolt.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So like I said, this truck needs new tires. So I've been researching tires. I think I settled on the Cooper Discoverer AT/3. This truck will spend 99% of its time on-road, so I need a good highway tire, but one that looks somewhat aggressive. Must be good in snow. And, must have white lettering on the sidewall. Looks way better than all-black IMO. I was originally thinking of the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO, but they're only available as an LT tire, whereas the Coopers are P-metric. I think a P-metric tire will be better for road use, they should give better gas mileage, and I won't be towing or hauling anything heavy. Plus, the Coopers are about $100 less than the BFGs.

The truck has 31-10.5-15 LT tires on it now. Equivalent P-metric tires are P265-75R-15, which apparently isn't too common, so my options are limited. But I think the Coopers will be a great choice.

Also, the rear tires on this truck have already been recently replaced. But, they're not the same brand, and they're both cheap Chinese tires.
At first, I was going to
1. pick which rear tire I liked best.
2. Buy 3 more of the same tire and install them
3. Take the rear tire I didn't use and use it as the spare tire (The current spare is bald and needs replaced too)

But, I don't think I would be happy with the performance of either model. (Chinese tires...:bad:) Plus, no white lettering!:icon_twisted: So, the new plan is:
1.Buy 4 new, good tires (Coopers)
2. Take one of the old/"new" rear tires and sell it on Craigslist
3. Take the other rear tire and use it as the spare.

Also, I took that bald spare tire with rusted steel rim off and sold it on Craigslist for $20. My plan for the spare rim:
If you look closely at the pictures, you'll notice that the front passenger rim is slightly different from the other 3 rims. The front passenger rim looks like this:

Whereas the other 3 look like this:

I have no idea why that is; apparently the rim was replaced at one point and they ordered the wrong one. So, I am going to buy a new rim so all four match. Then I'll take that unmatched one and use that for the spare tire. It looks a lot better than the old rusted steel one.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
By the way, in case you were wondering which Chinese tires are on it, there's a Milestar SL309:

And a Radar RXS-8:

I think the Milestar might be easier to sell, so I might keep the Radar as the spare. Although I think an easier way might be to just list them both on Craigslist and see which sells first.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So I know I've been slacking on pictures. I don't have a camera; I usually just take pictures with my phone. And my phone is a piece of crap that needs to be replaced badly. I hope to have some good pics when I get a new phone.

Well, I should've known better than to install a Napa Echlin turn signal switch. Every Echlin part I've ever used has been total garbage, and this switch was no exception. As soon as I turn the ignition on, the windshield wiper turn on for no reason and I have to fiddle with the switch for a minute to get them to turn off. Intermittent settings don't work either. I ordered a Motorcraft from Rockauto and will return this Echlin crap.

Coming from someone who actually works at Napa: Stay away from Echlin parts!!

I also installed a new clock spring which seems to be working well, but I still have an airbag code that I'm trying to get rid of. I created a thread about it HERE.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

Some pics from this weekend. This was when I was replacing the clock spring and turn signal switch. Also, you'll see that I removed the stereo and the dash pad over on the passenger side. Years ago, my fiancee's autistic brother was playing with the cigarette lighter and made burn marks on the dash pad. So, I'm going to replace that and that's why it's removed. I had to remove the stereo in order to remove the dash pad, but I'm going to leave it out and get a new different head unit anyway.

My new Motorcraft turn signal switch should be delivered today. Hopefully it works much better than the Echlin one.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Just a very quick and minor update: The Motorcraft turn signal switch works great! Which just proves that the Echlin one was a defective piece of crap. I also replaced the center latch assembly for the tailgate, and now the tailgate latches closed and opens perfectly. It looks a little out of alignment and crooked when closed, but since I'm only using it temporarily, I'm leaving it alone. As long as it opens and closes well, that's all I really care about.

Now I have to figure out a wiring issue I didn't have before I started taking this apart. :annoyed: I have no power going to the tailgate at all.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I may have hit the jackpot. There's a guy about a mile from my work who is parting out a 95 white Bronco that has only 36k original miles! Looking at the pictures, it looks like it's in great shape. It seems it would be a lot better to just sell it as a running truck. I have no idea why he would want to part it out. Eh, oh well. I'm going to look at it today. I'm too excited to concentrate on my work!

Coming soon (hopefully): New tailgate, power mirror conversion, manual transfer case swap, new steering column, new transmission lines, and much more!

EDIT: I saw the truck. It apparently used to be a police vehicle and used to plow. So, yeah it was pretty beat. It's a little more obvious why it's being parted. The tailgate was way better than mine, but still a little crappy. I'm going to hold out for a brand new one. The transmission lines looked like someone replaced them with some custom bent ones, so I passed on that too.

The truck is parked at a shop and the guy who owns it is the manager. I told him what I want off of it and he's going to remove them for me. They should be ready Saturday. I'm getting the following:
Manual transfer case with shifter, boot, and all linkage
Power mirrors with harnesses and switch
Under hood light and harness
Airbag diagnostic module
That weird coolant line that connects to throttle body
Steering column
Power lumbar parts for the drivers seat

Quite a good score, I think! :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I went back to the shop yesterday and the guy still didn't have the parts pulled. He said he was going to finish later that day. I'm going back today after work and hopefully pick them up.

Meanwhile, I still have to finish that damn tailgate. I haven't had a chance to look at that wiring problem yet. Yesterday I cleaned up the rear window, scraped all the old stickers off of it, and fixed the defroster. One of the metal tabs that the wire attaches to broke off and I lost track of it. I had to buy a new one and glue it on.

New tab glued on:

And this is the adhesive kit I used. It's made specifically for this very thing:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I FINALLY picked up the last of the parts last night. I got the following:
Manual transfer case with shifter, all linkage, and shift boot
steering column
both front seats
both side mirrors and all wiring and switches
under-hood light and harness
coolant tube
air bag diagnostic module
cup holders

That oughta keep me busy for a while. Good thing too, because I blew my parts budget big time and need a few months to recover.
I didn't have time to take any pics last night. Those will be coming soon.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Hope everyone had a good Christmas. I was on vacation last week and made some good progress on the Bronco. I know I originally said I was going to rebuild the front suspension as a priority item, but since I blew my parts budget pretty bad a few weeks ago, it's been put on hold until I get more money in the budget to buy suspension parts. The parts I bought a few weeks ago I felt was more important since I got a bunch of discontinued and/or hard to find parts and I needed to snatch them up while I still could. The suspension parts I can get at any parts store any time. So, I figured I should make some progress and start installing the parts I have.
Also, January is just about here, which means I can finally register the truck, which means I can drive it home and work on it there, where all my tools are. I plan to go to the DMV this Saturday.

Enough rambling, on the pics!
I finally finished fixing the tailgate. I got the wiring issue sorted out, got the window reinstalled, and installed new weatherstripping to protect my new parts inside from rusting. Again, this tailgate is only being used temporarily until I get a new one. I just wanted to be able to open and close it, which is something I couldn't do before. The window gets stuck really easily with the weatherstripping in; it seems like the weatherstripping pushes too hard on the glass. I have to "help" the window with my hands to get it to go up or down. Meh, at least it works. I think I'll worry about it when I get the new tailgate.

Window in:

Wiring done:

Weatherstripping in:

I got my new radio antenna installed. The previous owner said it got ripped off in a car wash. They bought a new antenna, but never installed it. It looks great:

Got a new cigarette lighter and socket installed. I don't smoke and will probably never use it, but I want everything on this truck to work like it's supposed to. It was less than $4 anyway.

I also did the steering column swap. More details and pics from that in a moment...

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So, sterring column swap. Let's start with why I swapped the column in the first place. When I bought the truck, the whole column was loose and you could actually move it up and down an inch or so. The steering wheel would continually bounce up and down as you drive. I tightened up the nuts that hold it to the dash and that helped a lot. But if you look at this pic below, you'll see that one of the mounting ears actually broke off. The old, broken column is on the left, and the new one is on the right. The left ear is broken off.

So, I got the new column in. I need to finish installing the ignition switch. There are some small parts that go in the cylinder that I need to install. I didn't realize those parts were missing until after I put the column in. It's a pain getting them in with the column installed, but an even bigger pain to take the column out again. I'll try to get that done tomorrow. I installed new shifter tube bushings and swapped the shifter from the donor truck on too. Now hopefully my OD off button will work. Here are some pics of the swap:

Coming back together:

Oh yeah, I also installed a new headlight knob because the old one was cracked, and I swapped out the airbag diagnostic module. That fixed that airbag code I had! :yahoo:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like a great start bud. Keep up the good work.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
^^ Thanks! I got my ignition switch issues mostly worked out. The lock cylinder is pretty worn out, so I'm going to replace it. I just ordered a new one from a local locksmith shop. They're going to key it so I can keep using the keys I already have.

I also need to remove the driver's door lock cylinder. Apparently there's about half of a key broken off inside it. I'm going to bring the door cylinder to the shop and have them fix that for me too.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
^^ Thanks! I got my ignition switch issues mostly worked out. The lock cylinder is pretty worn out, so I'm going to replace it. I just ordered a new one from a local locksmith shop. They're going to key it so I can keep using the keys I already have.

I also need to remove the driver's door lock cylinder. Apparently there's about half of a key broken off inside it. I'm going to bring the door cylinder to the shop and have them fix that for me too.
I got lucky. Got a complete parts truck (88 F250) with rust free doors AND a perfect steering column as well as a Sterling 10.25 and D50 3rd member stuffed with 4.10s for $400 :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals